Buying a hatchback with a low boot lip

Having recently sold my Subaru Legacy Tourer, I am looking to replace it with a new or used hatchback or small estate car suitable for carrying my spaniel dog in the back. Which vehicles have the lowest boot lip to allow my dog to jump in unaided, especially as he gets older and less agile? I would prefer a premium brand.

Asked on 5 January 2014 by martin tonbridge

Probably best is a Suzuki Grand Vitara SWB because the rear door opens sideways and the load deck is sill-free. (And the rear seats tumble, leaving a flat floor.) Otherwise you will have to look at station wagons because no hatchback has a hatch that opens right down to floor level.