Could you recommend a petrol SUV with a low boot lip?

Unfortunately, our 1998 Toyota RAV4 has a slipping clutch and signs of rust. We're looking for a high-seated petrol SUV, preferably with a low boot lip so a dog can jump in. We like the looks of the Ford Ecosport (which I know you don't rate) and the Mazda CX-3. What would you recommend in this crowded market? It will be used mostly on local runs with the occasional longer trip. We have about £14,500 to spend. Thanks.

Asked on 3 November 2020 by Andrew Marshall

The Ford EcoSport has been heavily updated a few times. It might not be the best crossover in its class but examples from 2018 onwards are much better than earlier models. One of these will be in budget and will likely meet all your requirements. The CX-3 would be a good alternative, while we'd also recommend a Suzuki Vitara or a Honda HR-V.