Clunking gearbox

On start up after sitting idle for a day or so the auto gear box "clunks" into gear no matter how gently I move the gear change into drive. It is ok for the rest of the day. Car is still under warranty from the independant dealership I purchased it from back in January 2011. Apart from this the vehicle is great.

In comparison with my previous car, a BMW 3 series with an auto box, the gear change is somewhat stiff even when up and running. The car is still low mileage (21k) so assume this is something to do with the newness of the gear box.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Asked on 16 August 2011 by 023john

Get it checked by a member of www.fedauto.co.uk and depending on his verdict decide whether to challenge the dealer to fix it, or just pay the auto specialist.