How do I tax a disabled car when purchasing as this must be done by post?

My son has disabled tax status on his car. Soon we will be part exchanging for another car. How do we arrange the new tax to drive home as disabled status can only be done at a post office? Do we just risk it and sort the following day?

Asked on 19 February 2024 by Craig Wilson

Answered by David Ross
We would not advise driving the vehicle without tax, so we would suggest taxing the vehicle at the time of purchase online so you are legal to drive the car on the public road and then sending the required documents off to receive the exemption. If you apply to pay by direct debit the most you will be charged will be a single month of VED.
Similar questions
Can car owner who receive PIP benefit claim a reduced car tax?
The Blue Badge Scheme, a much-valued facility, is sadly abused by some. It is mal-administered with varying degrees of inefficiency and bumbledom by County Councils throughout the country. I wrote to my...
My car is exempt from road tax but I forgot to register it this year. I have moved house and was hospitalised earlier this year. I didn't receive any notification from the DVLA to remind me to register...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer