Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

What used diesel model should I buy for a 100-mile commute?

I am moving to a new location, which means my commute will now be 50 miles each way, so I'm looking for a used car to cover this high mileage (mostly motorway). Although they are out of favour now, diesel still makes the most sense to me. What economical and, more importantly, reliable car would you recommend for this? I was hoping to spend no more than £10,000.

Asked on 8 April 2021 by Martin Baker

We'd agree that a diesel still makes sense for your mileage. A Skoda Octavia or the bigger Superb should be a dependable choice – they'll be very comfortable and cheap to run, too. Also look at the Toyota Avensis (a very dull car but one that'll last forever) or a Honda Civic. You could also look at SUVs like the Honda CR-V if you want a bit more comfort, although they'll have slightly higher running costs.