International motor

Further to your remarks about the Spanish 2nd hand market in Saturday's issue (June 6th), I wonder if you can help us with a similar problem in the south of France. We live in Cyprus and want to buy a car in the Perpignan area to keep there to tow our holiday trailer. We are looking at a 5-door diesel between 1.6 and 1.9 litres: do you have any suggestions (we have been offered a 2001 Xsara Picasso HDI with 84k on the clock in a private sale for 2990 Euros) and is there anywhere commercial you can recommend we try? We will probably spend 6 weeks there in total.

BCA has an auction at Lyon. That's the furthest South so far. www.bcae.net/default.aspx?page=258 Though France does not impose the laughably named “road tax”, you will have to insure the car and it will need to be registered to a French address, which might now require French residency.