Can you recommend a safe, small, used car for me?

I'm looking for a sturdy, used, small car. I have been considering the Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia (which I currently have), Toyota Yaris and not sure after that. Economical, safe and an easy drive is important to me. Do you recommend any cars, please? I'm looking to spend around £9000. Although I'm well into my 60s, I enjoy driving and I drive a lot. I would be very grateful for any advice. Also, not sure in regards to petrol, diesel or hybrid - or manual or automatic. I haven't got a clue in reality! Thanks.

Asked on 5 January 2021 by Judith S

The good news is that your shortlist is already very strong. We'd recommend a small petrol or hybrid model (unless you cover a lot of motorway miles – more than 12,000 a year, in which case a diesel might be more appropriate). Deciding between automatic or manual is down to personal preference, really, although the DSG automatic gearbox used in the Fabia isn't the most reliable. A hybrid Toyota Yaris would be a very sensible choice – cheap to run and very reliable. We'd also recommend the Hyundai i20.