Is there an organisation I can contact about unreasonable repair costs?

A local garage has had my 2009 Volvo S40 for 8 weeks trying to resolve a misfire so I can claim the cost from Warrantywise. They have had my car for so long that I am considering cutting my losses and getting my car back because the warranty company won't pay for any investigation work until the fault has been found. I am so fed up with the whole deal I have told the garage I am going to take my car back at the end of the month if it isn't sorted. If I am not happy with the final bill that I know I will have to pay, is there an organisation or group I can contact to help question the bill? Many thanks.

Asked on 11 January 2021 by Colin Taylor

Answered by Georgia Petrie
Sadly this is a very common situation that we hear about and I know from first-hand experience how stressful and frustrating it can be. The Motor Ombudsman should be the body to deal with this but it depends whether the garage in question is a member or not. Citizens Advice are also incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.
Similar questions
I had a low impact bump causing damage to rear bumper and small dent to body work above bumper. I claimed on my insurance and my Toyota RAV4 was allocated a date for estimate to be carried out at appointed...
I have a heavily modified 2012 Volkswagen Golf with all modifications declared to my insurer. In February 2018 I had an accident, which was my fault. It left a nice dent in the nearside wing and cracked...
I hired a van to move house, but I'm now being charged for a replacement heated windscreen because of a 7mm x 3mm stone chip (which I believe could have been repaired). I was told when collecting the vehicle...
Related models
Comfortable, safe and enjoyable. Good looks, backed up by a decent drive.

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer