Fearbox

I note that one of your correspondents recently described his/her Honda Jazz as “a heap of unreliable junk”. Can I add my name to the list of dissatisfied owners? My 1.4 Jazz, first registered in May 2005, has covered 42,500 miles and has been regularly serviced by a Honda Agent. It is now suffering from a main bearing failure in the gearbox. The estimated cost of repairs is £450 - surely not what is expected from a car that is less that 4 years old and has only covered a moderate mileage. Have you any comments or suggestions as you have always championed these cars in the past?

Asked on 11 April 2009 by

Very common problem on the manual Jazz and a decent dealer will be able to get a goodwill contribution from Honda towards the cost of this. (N.M. re-mailed to tell me this is exactly what happened.)