I need to buy a car during lockdown, what do you recommmend?

My car was written off prior to the lockdown. I need to buy a replacement and so would really welcome your advice, especially as I'll not be able to test drive cars so will need to buy online and arrange for it to be delivered. I do approximately 8000 miles a year, mostly journeys in city traffic and occasional long journeys with my wife and young child. I'm looking at a used petrol or hybrid vehicle that is reliable, safe, comfortable and has generous boot space. Automatic or manual. I'm looking at spending about £8000 but would be willing to go up to £15,000 or higher as might be necessary. My very limited research suggests that an old Toyota Avensis Estate, Volvo V70 or Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate could be suitable. However, something newer or even an SUV might be a better buy. Your recommendation would be enormously welcomed.

Asked on 18 May 2020 by London

I would recommend the Hyundai Ioniq hybrid. It is comfortable, easy to use and will return 60+mpg on the road: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/ioniq-2016/

A budget of £15,000 will get you a 2018 model that will still have a considerable chunk of its five-year unlimited mileage manufacturer warranty left on its books: www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/search/Hyundai/...c