Silver service?

My local Mercedes service centre quoted £450 for a B service to my 28,000 mile 2002 C220CDI auto. This seams excessive. Another local servicing garage has quoted £320 using all Mercedes components, and in its advertisement it claims that using them does not invalidate any new or used warranty. Should I believe this claim and what do you think would be the attitude of the main dealers should problems occur at later date?

Asked on 21 August 2010 by AG, Maidenhead

The car is 8 years old and out of any warranty or goodwill even on the bodywork, so no need to pay expensive MB dealer servicing charges. But far better to use an independent Mercedes specialist who is familiar with the car than just any garage.