Should I be wary of buying a high mileage car?

I'm thinking of buying a 2008 petrol Ford Mondeo with 151,000 on the clock. The vehicle is quite tidy but I'm worried as the mileage is high. What should I be looking for with regards to faults and is it worth buying?

Asked on 7 May 2020 by Ben Harrison

It depends on what your level of expectation is for the car. If it's under £1500, it will probably be fine for one or two years as a cheap motorway runner. However, take note, this is a 12-year-old car that's approaching the end of its mechanical life. It will inevitably present problems as it gets older and the engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes wear out.