Are used BMW 3 Series really expensive to own?

I read about the BMW 3 Series being reliable, but servicing, repairs and - I imagine - insurance is a lot more expensive than for non-premium cars. I see lots of these high-mileage, diesel cars looking nice with good MoT history and an affordable price tag. Which cars would be a good alternative? Thanks a lot.

Asked on 2 December 2020 by maya

On the one hand, the BMW 3 Series is popular with police forces because of its indestructibility and high-mile capability. On the other hand, an older 3 Series (diesel models in particular) will require a fair bit of regular maintenance and yes, this will be costlier than in a mainstream choice. Parts will be a bit pricier than something like a Volkswagen Passat and servicing (especially at a main dealer) could be more expensive. Insurance will depend on factors like your age and driving experience. If you want a practical estate car that'll be cheap to run, look at something like a Toyota Avensis or Honda Accord.