What's the best nearly new car for around £7000?

I'm looking to purchase a car for £7000 - £8000 and was wondering what models you think would be best to look at in terms of reliability? I'm looking for something with around 30,000 to 40,000 miles on it, preferably under three years old, and can be new or used. For example I found a pre-reg Kia Picanto 2019 model for £7500, but then if you look into the used market there are Kia Ceed's going for around £8500, used of course with around 30k miles on them. I'm really interested in Japanese cars, but don't know where to start when it comes to shopping with those. I'm looking to run this car into the ground so the newer the better so I know all the maintenance has been done well and the car has been looked after, which is why buying new (pre-reg) is tempting. I'd really appreciate some advice from you.

Asked on 16 April 2020 by William Brandrick

It probably comes down to how much space you need and what kind of driving you do. If you cover quite a lot of miles or need a big boot, something the size of the Kia Ceed would be the best option. If you only use your car for short journeys and only carry one or two people, look for something smaller and newer like the Picanto. A nearly-new Kia Picanto would be a great little car and it'll come with the remainder of Kia's seven-year warranty. Small Japanese cars like the Toyota Aygo and Mazda 2 aren't as good as the Picanto. The Honda Jazz is a bit bigger but could be a good option - it's very reliable and ultra practical.