Can you recommend a small, economical car to replace my ageing Micra?

I drive a Nissan Micra and it's getting old (2006, 110,000 miles) so I'm looking at what to buy next. I would like something similar regarding economy of fuel and reliability; nothing has ever gone wrong with my current car. However, I would really like to get something just slightly bigger so passengers are less squashed. I'm doubting I can improve upon the Micra, but value your opinion. The new Micra seems more flimsy in its body work, or am I wrong about this?

Asked on 31 March 2020 by rachel stockley

While the Micra used to be a really robust, reliable little car, it's true that the latest models don't have quite the same reputation. We'd recommend a Honda Jazz. It's a very reliable car and more practical than most small cars. Also consider a Hyundai i20 or Ford Fiesta.