I'm about to go into 12 weeks isolation because of coronavirus- what should I do about tax and insurance?

I am 78 years old and for the next 12 weeks will be in isolation. My car will be garaged and not driven in those weeks. Where do I stand with regards to my insurance and car tax if it is not being used?

Asked on 24 March 2020 by Peter

Answered by Dan Powell
If you are putting your car into storage then I would recommend keeping the insurance running but placing the vehicle on SORN and getting refund on the road tax VED. You will then be able to drive the car on SORN to a pre-booked MoT appointment at a later date and tax the car when it has passed. For more coronavirus motoring advice, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/coronavirus/coronavirus-what-...s
Similar questions
I am in the 12-week isolation/vulnerable group. I only reinsured my car for 12 months yesterday so I called my insurance company and they are happy to cancel the policy and give me a pro rata refund (less...
I have my third year service scheduled for 9 April. This is to coincide with MoT and approaching end of warranty (24 April). The car is a Fiat and is booked in at service centre 15 miles away. They have...
I have heard conflicting information on MOTs in that the six-month exemption only applies to those people with Coronavirus or those self-isolating. I am not in that category and I had a service and MOT...

Ask Honest John

Value my car