Can I make essential shopping trips without a valid MoT if it can't be done because of coronavirus?

Our car MoT runs out on 3 April. We have to self isolate as my wife receives annual flu jabs. Will I be able to make essential food shopping journeys if I can't renew MoT, and will insurance be valid?

Asked on 17 March 2020 by malcolmghenderson

Cars, vans and motorcycles that are due an MoT up until 31 July will automatically get a six-month extension - but this ends on 1 August 2020. If your MoT is due before 1 August 2020, you don't have to do anything. The MoT will automatically be renewed for six months. This means that if your car or van's MoT expires on 31 July, it doesn’t legally have to be MoT tested until January 2021. After that, though, mandatory MoT testing will return.

This means people will not have to visit their local garage. MoT tests have not all been cancelled though, MoT test centres will continue to remain open and operate as normal. This means drivers can still take their car for an MoT test, but must stay at home if they (or someone they live with) has coronavirus symptoms or is vulnerable to Covid-19.

You can find all of our most recent MoT advice and news regarding coronavirus here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-06/mot-...t