Which small car should I buy for £7000?

I am looking to replace my 2007 Volkswagen Polo with a three year old much more economical small car. It must have air conditioning, five doors and take adults in back. I'm looking at the Toyota Aygo and Volkswagen Up. I travel 10,000 miles a year, mostly on country roads but I need reliability on motorway. My budget is under £7000. What would you recommend as best long term buy as we plan to run the car into the ground?

Asked on 11 March 2020 by M Y

We'd recommend a Kia Picanto. It's a great little car with a long warranty. This should give you an idea of real-world fuel economy: www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/