I received an NIP for a speeding offence in January - does the 14 day rule apply?

I received a NIP in the post yesterday. I had done 36mph in a 30mph zone. The date of the offence was 7th January but the letter is dated 14th February. Does the 14 day rule apply to this?

A NIP must be served on the driver or registered keeper within 14 days. If it's taken this long to reach you because you're not the registered keeper or the address on the car's V5 registration document is wrong, the police will argue that they've done everything in their power to serve the NIP within 14 days so you should pay the fine or attend a speed awareness course. If the details on the V5 are correct and you are the registered keeper, it's taken too long to arrive and you have a good case for disputing it.