Is a lit engine warning light an MoT failure?

I have a 2003 Honda CR-V petrol auto, which has covered 170,000 miles. For the past two years the engine management light has been lit an increasing amount, and for some months is permanently on whilst driving. I have had this checked several times at my local garage, who have found various error codes, but no consistent fault, so no remedial work has been done. Will the car fail its next MOT because of this?

Asked on 11 February 2020 by Chris Stovold

The engine warning light is usually Major failure point on the MoT, but some older cars are exempt from this rule. For example, diesels that were registered before 1 July 2008 and petrols that were registered before 1 July 2003 are exempt from this part of the MoT test.