What petrol compact SUV do you suggest?

I am looking for a front wheel drive, petrol engine, reliable, economical, compact SUV. I drive less than 3000 miles a year mostly around town. My budget is £15,000 to £20,000 for a relatively new used car. What do you suggest?

We'd recommend a Volkswagen T-Cross. You'll get an as-new, pre-registered example within budget. Go for the very good 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine. Also consider the very similar Skoda Kamiq or, if you'd prefer something a little bigger, a Skoda Karoq. You could also look at the Honda HR-V or Suzuki Vitara.