What is the most economical automatic for an 80 mile commute?

I commute at least 80 miles a day but only drive an automatic. My budget is £6500. What is the most economical car in my budget?

For reliability's sake, I'd look for a small petrol car rather than a diesel. I'd recommend a Kia Picanto. It comes with a very good torque-converter automatic gearbox and your budget should get you a tidy example from around 2014. If you'd prefer something a bit bigger, consider a Honda Jazz with the CVT gearbox. Check out Real MPG for an idea of real-world fuel economy: www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/