I have noticed many different makes of cars that seem to have a defect when they turn at right angles?

I have noticed many different makes of cars that seem to have a defect when they turn at right angles or go round a roundabout, in their lights. Specifically the spot lights. I have noticed many times in many cars the spot lights only having one of the pair on. Furthermore, when the car turns the nearside light comes on and then after turning it goes off. Am I unaware of something that is happening on purpose in these cars or is it a fault that is happening a lot to cars all over the country?

Asked on 8 November 2019 by Geoff Cholerton

These are cornering lights. When the driver turns the wheel, one of the fog lights will light up, giving them a clearer view in the direction they're turning.