My vintage motorcycle number plate could be worth more than the bike itself - can I get another age-restricted number plate for the bike?

I have been told my 1954 vintage motorcycle number plate could be worth more than the bike itself. How hard would it be to get another age-restricted number plate for the bike?

Asked on 6 August 2019 by Tony Carey

Answered by Keith Moody
As long as the registration mark is not a non-transferable registration mark (this will be noted in the Special Notes section of the V5C Registration Certificate), then it is possible to remove it from the vehicle in order to sell it. A non-transferable registration mark cannot be removed from the vehicle.
We spoke to VRM in Swansea to get some advice on how to go about this. First of all, the vehicle will need to have valid road tax (even if the vehicle is tax exempt and the tax rate is free) or have had a SORN in place continuously for the past five years. It will also need a valid MOT certificate (even if the vehicle is MOT exempt). In some cases, the DVLA will also require the vehicle to undergo an inspection.
VRM's Gemma Smith, said, 'Once the registration has been removed from the vehicle, the DVLA will issue the vehicle with another age-related registration mark - in this case, the replacement will be a dateless style registration mark (these were issued to vehicles between 1903 and 1963). The replacement will be non-transferable.'
Tags: