What's the best small automatic for a new driver?

I am a new driver in my late 20s looking for a second-hand automatic car. I learnt to drive on a manual, but with the amount of traffic in my area, a manual is sheer punishment. I am looking to stay below £5k mark and have been looking at cars like the Volkswagen Up, SEAT Mii, Skoda Citigo and the Toyota Aygo. What would be a good option for a second hand automatic for a new driver?

The cars you've mentioned all use irritating automated manual gearboxes, which can be slow to respond and jerky to use. We'd be looking for a Suzuki Swift. It's a very reliable choice, with a good four-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. Alternatively, consider a Hyundai i10 or Kia Picanto - both also use proper torque-converter transmissions that ought to be reliable.