I'm buying an SUV - what do you suggest?

After nine years I'm changing my beloved 2009 Merc E220 as it's starting to cost money. Long legs mean I need my seat fairly well back for my 15-18k town and M-way miles each year. I want something fairly solid and good build quality, four-door, space in the back for frequent four-up journeys, relatively economical but with a bit of poke and flexibility in the engine, cruise control, parking sensors and acceptable maintenance costs, to keep for another five to seven years. Am I expecting too much or could you suggest please what might be worth looking at? I have £20-25K to spend.

Asked on 22 January 2019 by Jim Munden

Consider a Kia Sportage. It sounds like a diesel would be well suited to your mileage, and the 1.6 CRDi is pretty good. A £25,000 budget will get you a '2' trim level which has front parking sensors and cruise control. Alternatively, shopping around for a pre-registered example might get you a higher-spec model for the money. It'll come with a seven-year warranty so won't cost much to run during your ownership. If you'd like more space, consider a nearly-new Skoda Kodiaq.