Will I need an international permit to drive in the EU after Brexit?

I'll be driving to France in May 2019. Will I be able to use my UK driving licence or will I have to get some sort of international permit?

Asked on 13 November 2018 by Chris Harper

Answered by Andrew Brady
The Department for Transport is aiming for a deal which allows UK driving licences to be recognised within the EU. If that doesn't happen, drivers with UK licences wishing to drive in France are likely to need an International Driving Permit - as is currently the case for driving in non-EU countries. These cost £5.50 and can be bought from the Post Office.
Similar questions
I know I'm not the only one going to Europe over half term who is concerned as what precautions to take when we travel out while in the EU and return after a probable Brexit. What will be the changes for...
What are the implications of a no deal Brexit when driving to an EU country?
What are the requirements for driving in France? Do I need more than the GB on my number plate?

Value my car