What will we need for driving in the EU after Brexit?

I know I'm not the only one going to Europe over half term who is concerned as what precautions to take when we travel out while in the EU and return after a probable Brexit. What will be the changes for a UK motorist and will any additional documentation be required?

Asked on 28 August 2019 by Steve Bloor

Answered by Dan Powell
In the event of a no-deal scenario, your EU driving licence will expire. That means you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you travel. There are three available: the 1949 IDP, covering Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; the 1968 IDP covering all other EU countries as well as Norway and Switzerland - and the 1926 IDP covering Liechtenstein.

You will also need a green card proof of insurance, which your policy provider will provider but may charge a fee.
Similar questions
What are the implications of a no deal Brexit when driving to an EU country?
What are the requirements for driving in France? Do I need more than the GB on my number plate?
I have read with interest debates on driving abroad post-Brexit with your own vehicle, but what about a hire car? This Easter we will visit friends on Corfu, as usual, picking up a hire car on arrival....

Value my car