What's the best compact MPV for a growing family?

We have a growing family and we need a bigger car. We are looking for a reliable seven seat smaller MPV about five to six years old. We do 10,000 miles a year. Can you recommend anything? That era engines are mainly diesels - do I need a petrol so that would be less troublesome?

Asked on 15 October 2018 by Arte Dro

The Toyota Verso (2013 on) would be a pretty good choice. It's not exciting but has seven seats and ought to prove to be reliable. A petrol is less likely to be troublesome but, as you've found, there are more diesels about on the second hand market. The 1.6-litre diesel is a pretty robust BMW engine.