Are dash cams banned in some countries in Europe?

I'm thinking of getting a dash cam hard wired into my car. Due to travelling in Europe I've read that some countries don't allow them. Could you clarify the position in this case?

Asked on 5 October 2018 by Carole Dunn

The UK has some of the most relaxed rules in the world when it comes to regulations surrounding dash cams. Laws about recording in public, filming people without their permission and operating in-car electronics have no set EU regulation. Instead, they're set by individual national governments. In some countries, you can actually receive a £9000 fine for recording with a dash cam. You haven't said exactly where you're driving, so I can't offer any specific advice. But this page will tell you everything you need to know to stay on the right side of the law when you go away: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/dash-cam-buying-advice-guide/...d