I am no longer able to drive on medical grounds - can I still insure a car if my son drives it?

I have been advised on medical grounds to voluntarily hand back my driving licence to the DVLA. My son is a named driver on my insurance policy and he is willing to drive for me if I wish to keep the car. Do you think the insurance company would agree to this arrangement?

Asked on 15 August 2018 by George Briggs

Answered by Tim Kelly
Unfortunately not, you would no longer be the main user, as you would not have a valid licence to drive. You would have to insure the vehicle in your son's name.
Similar questions
I've had to surrender my medically-restricted, yearly license for a year on medical grounds. It was due to expire November this year and I was planning to reapply in September. Unfortunately, I need to...
I am named driver on my wife's motor policy. She has to voluntarily surrender her licence on medical grounds. Will her insurance and my named driver status remain valid pending her medical situation being...
My father has recently returned to live in the UK after eight years living and driving in Spain. He will need a car for UK use when movement restrictions are eased and I am considering letting him have...

Ask Honest John

Value my car