Why does my car have uneven tyre wear?

My Volkswagen Golf Estate, owned from new, is 22 months old and has covered 11,000 miles. Five weeks ago the tyre pressure warning told me that my passenger side front tyre had lost pressure. I checked and it looked fine but reset all tyre pressures. The Volkswagen dealer has found a small puncture, which is now repaired. The dealer did a health check and has flagged amber warning on front left tyre saying tread depth 4mm all the way across with right 4.5mm all the way across. Why the uneven wear? Could this be because of slight difference in tyre pressure right and left?

Probably needs the alignment re-set by www.alignmycar.co.uk / Mass produced cars are not finely aligned at the end of the production lines so there is some variation. After that you could even out wear by putting the back tyres on the front (and vice versa, of course).