My 2012 car failed its MoT due to a faulty DRL - is this right?

A couple of days ago my 2012 BMW 520d failed its MoT due to O/S DRL not working. The dipped and high beams worked fine. It cost me almost £800 to change the whole headlight and the DRL module to pass the MoT.

Are they right to do that as my understanding is that DRL rule has changed just last month and only apply on new cars and effectively applicable from 2021. As my car is from 2012, I'm not sure if it applied on my car?

Asked on 4 June 2018 by BLANCO

According to the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) MoT guidance notes, the new failure category for daytime running lights (DLRs) only applies to vehicles first used from 1 March 2018. Any vehicles built before this date are exempt. For more information, see: www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-fro...t

You can make a complaint to the DVSA about your car failing the MoT (when it clearly shouldn’t have) here: www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-...t