03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - Singlish
We have a fiesta which occassionally drops out of 2nd Gear on the overun in low speed driving. This has been happening now for 18 months and with the annual Ford service imminent, I am wondering whether to ask the dealer to adjust the gear change, with 35000 genuine miles i would be surprised if there is much wear in the gearbox.

What advice can anyone give me?

Andrew

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2010 at 17:40

03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - Peter.N.
I would have said at first, gearbox wear, but unlikely at 35k I would have thought, although it is possible, could be that the linkage needs adjusting.
Thanks Peter, has anyone else any comment.

Andrew
03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - Galaxy
No disrespect is intended but this problem could possibly be due to how the gearbox has been used.

For example, if someone might have been driving the car and changing from first to second without adequately depressing the clutch then this will have caused considerable wear on the second gear pinion.

03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - Altea Ego
You could have worn out the gearbox by resting your hand on the gear lever while driving.

I wore out a ford gearbox in 46k miles by doing that.
Thanks guys for your comments, having driven the car several times over the last few weeks it has not happened to me recently, but it has in the past. My wife who drives the car normally suggests the car only falls out of 2nd gear when driving the car over a bumpy surface, which to me suggests something external to the main gearbox, linkage-mountings-adjustment? Has anyone anymore ideas?

Andrew
03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - clivedown

I have an 09 model that exhibits the same problem and it has done so since its first 1000 miles. My local dealer says there is nothing the matter with it as their mechanics are unable to replicate the fault. It always happens if the car is going down a steep hill but the dealer claims the mechanics are not allowed to test the car on the public highway.

03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - mickeybo

To cure this problem it requires a replacement 1&2 gear assembly which also consists of

syncronising sleeve & hub assembly. The leading edges of sycronising sleeve wear causing

this problem. Hope this helps Best reguards Mickeybo

Location Derry N/Ireland

03 1.4 Jumping out of 2nd gear on overun - clivedown

Thanks very much for the response Mickeybo. Much appreciated.