Future cars, small engine with turbo - diddy1234
Just checking the likes of autocar web site and found that the future of cars seems to be leading to small engines (1.0 Litres to 1.4 litres) with turbo's.

This got me thinking that are we going to end up a nation of non paying road tax (sorry I mean Vehicle Exercise Duty) as all of these cars are 'green' ?

So where is the government going to get its £32 billion per year from ?

Or will the government change the taxation rules yet again to make these future cars not so green ?

Sources include :-
next generation Ford focus with 1.0L Turbo engines with 89Bhp and 108Bhp.
BMW 3 cylinder 1.3L turbo engine

Edited by diddy1234 on 03/06/2009 at 15:59

Future cars, small engine with turbo - jc2
They won't charge tax but there will be an "ADMIN" fee probably increasing way in front of inflation rate(for green purposes).
Future cars, small engine with turbo - L'escargot
I can't imagine turbos becoming in the majority. Not everyone is obsessed with having the smallest engine possible nor with paying the minimum VED possible.

Edited by L'escargot on 03/06/2009 at 16:15

Future cars, small engine with turbo - TheOilBurner
The answer is simple: the government will simply move the goal posts. They're already talking about getting average emissions down to less than 100g/km.

The only way that will happen is by re-grading the bands, so today's Eco model is tomorrow's gas guzzler.

If all else fails they can always resort to per mile road pricing too.
Future cars, small engine with turbo - FotheringtonThomas
Even when electric cars are the norm - decade after next, perhaps - they'll just find another way to raise revenue from us.