94 1.8 wont start, yet spark getting to plugs? - penelopepitstop
Hi there, i have a renault clio 1.8 RSI 1994, until recently it ran o.k, now it turns over and rarely starts, occasionally it has started after cranking for a while then stalls if foot off throttle, we replaced HT leads and they are relatively new plugs, spark is definately getting to the plugs, the weird thing is when testing the plugs for resistence two of the them are reading dead short, one is o.k and the last has high resistence! do you think 3 of the plugs need replacing? or is there another underlying issue here thats maybe causing the plugs to short? someone has suggested it needs new TDC sensor or maybe coolant sensor, but im not convinced? any help would be appreciated?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2009 at 18:52

94 1.8 Clio wont start yet spark getting to plugs? - penelopepitstop
Update since earlier, bought some new plugs, car started first time and ran for 5 minutes on its own, then just stalled suddenly, checked the new plugs and there is definately fuel deposits on the plugs, its seems that it is running too rich? any suggestions?
94 1.8 Clio wont start yet spark getting to plugs? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Could possibly be coolant sensor. Without sounding patronising are you up for some simple tests if you have access to, and are confident using, a digital multimeter?
yes i can do some tests, my dad has a multimeter?
I tried driving it down the drive yesterday, but it revs very erratically, one minute too high the next nearly stalling, so maybe its the idle control valve?
hi there, abit of an update, my friend lent me his car, same model etc and we swopped a few things around, but still to no avail, we tried the TDC sensor, and the idle control valve, neither made any difference, also tried the MAP sensor, so back to square one again?
94 1.8 Clio wont start yet spark getting to plugs? - Javalin
Hiya

Does it has a DIS pack or a distributor type ignition?

James