01 2.5 4wd System failure - Mr Fox
Hello

We have a Jaguar 2.5 X type, regisered in 2001, bought as an approved jaguar 3 years ago and now with 50K miles. it has been an excellent car until now when a sensor in the engine had to be replaced, however to my horror the dealer informed me that they noticed a whining coming from the "transfer box" and that this will cost £ 1800 plus vat to replace. They have logged this as a fault in Jaguar's central computer, so unless I get it fixed by Jaguar, this stain will remain on the car's file.

My query relates to whether there is any mileage in asking Jaguar to contribute towards this repair, the car has only every been serviced by them, hasn't been driven hard or abused in any way.

Otherwise what would be the approximate cost in having this repaired by an independent garage. I intended to keep this car for a few more years yet as it is a great car in every other respect.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/12/2007 at 21:59

Jaguar X type 4wd System failure - Cheeky
How worrying for you. If you haven't already done son, post your message here www.jaguarforum.co.uk/ in the X Type section as these guys are extremely helpful - really excellent.

I too run an X type which I love (2.0D Estate) and if this were me, I would get onto Jag HQ and ask for a contribution. I would not consider this normal wear and tear. You certainly have a strong case if the car is full Jaguar service history. The only thing not on your side is time as the car will be coming up for 7 years old, so it is well out of warranty. Still worth a shot though I think.

If you get no-where with them, a good independent is surely the place to go. Good luck and I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.
01 2.5 4wd System failure - motorprop
get a 2nd opinion - don't let one person worry you silly - service managers have an agenda - as HJ has pointed out , now we are not ripped off on new car prices , we are being shafted on servicing .