93 1.1 petrol. coolant sensor location - ffolliott
Posted earlier re a 1993 1.1 Petrol Fiesta auto choke with cold start problems. Can anyone tell me 'exactly' where the coolant temperature sensor is on this car if indeed there is one because I cannot locate it having been round the coolant circuit/block now several times looking for any likely suspects with two leads coming from it. Is it accessible from the top as Haynes mentions having to jack up the car to get to it - but still cannot find it. (Found the crank sensor ok).

What this car does have that I have not seen referenced in Haynes is a largeish cylindrical silver coloured sensor in the exhaust pipe about one foot down from the manifold and two inches from the radiator where the two pipes become one. I am wondering on this car if this there instead of the coolant temperture sensor. Who knows.

Also still baffled why the car refuses to start on a new well charged battery yet will fire up tick over and run perfectly every time on a bump start 20 yard tow.

Any help welcome.

Many thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/12/2007 at 22:56

Fiesta Coolant Sensor Location - Screwloose

The device in the exhaust is the oxygen sensor [aka the Lambda probe] that feeds mixture info back to the ECU once warm.

The coolant temp sensor is under[?] the inlet manifold; a large brass hexagon [about 27mm] with a substantial cylindrical plug about 30mm long.

Don't overlook an ignition switch problem; do you still have an HT spark when cranking?
Fiesta Coolant Sensor Location - ffolliott
Thanks for the reply - however still cannot locate the coolant sensor for some reason despite it being described as a big brass nut. Is it near the oil pressure switch for example which is right under the inlet manifold. According to Haynes it has two leads coming off it one brown and one brown and green but can see nothing that has an electrical connection other than the oil switch. Also there appears to be a good spark at startup turnover and you can hear it firing up and it wants to catch and run but just does not make it. It will not start with a jump from a second car either but - a short bump start always does the trick it seems.

many thanks
Fiesta Coolant Sensor Location - Screwloose

I wonder if the screening on the crank sensor lead is breaking down? There have been a lot of problems caused by electrical interference from starters on late cars - I've never seen it on one of these though.

Maybe a new crank sensor's needed? [Gold terminals may need to be fitted to the plug if they aren't gold already.]
Fiesta Coolant Sensor Location - bell boy
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=58...5

see my 2 posts
93 1.1 petrol Fiesta coolant sensor location - mfarrow
Apologese for my last post in the other thread I thought you'd found the right one where you actually found the gauge sender.
Posted earlier re a 1993 1.1 Petrol Fiesta auto choke with cold start problems. Can
anyone tell me 'exactly' where the coolant temperature sensor is

It attached to the inlet manifold, not the block. Feel the underside of the inlet manifold and you'll find it.

--------------
Mike Farrow