Chinese tyres - scaniadriver
I have just picked up my S reg Astra from the garage after requiring 4 new tyres to pass the MOT. The garage have replaced the original Conti's with some brand called "Cheng Shan". While they were considerably cheaper than a premium brand, i wonder if this is a big trade off with quality and safety. I am somewhat dubious at the thought of my cars only contact with road being some unknown Chinese brand. Should I change them for something better, as I do a lot of motorway driving or are they perfectly adiqate? Any thoughts please.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2007 at 18:42

Chinese tyres - stuartl
The phrase 'Get what you pay for' springs to mind......................
Chinese tyres - L'escargot
I just wonder why you didn't ask the question before the tyres were fitted.
--
L\'escargot.
Chinese tyres - jase1
As to whether or not these are perfectly safe, I would say yes they will be -- better than the alternative, which would be some nasty remould tyre.

Bear in mind that Hankook and Kumho started out as so-called "cheap Korean junk", and look where they are now.

So not ideal, but it *is* only an S-plate Astra at the end of the day, hardly the last word in handling.
Chinese tyres - Tomo
Hello all!

"Bear in mind that Hankook and Kumho started out as so-called "cheap Korean junk"

I replaced Hankooks on Toad the Supra with P Zeros, almost immediately. They were considerably better especially in the dry, but above all I am obviously safer at speed.

Now, new general utility and shopping Hyundai V6 coupe has come new on Kumhos. It ploughs on at the front, but is this just ordinary front drive incompetence?

So have I to make another expensive change?

Chinese tyres - Tomo
Further to my remarks above on Kumho, I have over the weekend done a bit of threshing about on them in the course of loosening up my new engine and I have concluded that there is not too much wrong.

I do not think this is irrelevant to Chinese tyres; they will, probably have already, improved similarly.
Chinese tyres - Martin Devon
So not ideal but it *is* only an S-plate Astra at the end of the
day hardly the last word in handling.

YOU miss the point.

MD
I just wonder why you didn't ask the question before the tyres were fitted.
--

I didnt give it much thought at the time, as was expecting them to fit something like Nexens or marangonis. Its just that I hadn't heard of Chengshans before and wondered about the quality.
To be honest though, Ive now given them a good road test and they seem fine on cornering and braking....fine at least for an old Astra..:-p
Chinese tyres - GregSwain
Well, you'll get some people telling you to swap them all for Michelins immediately, but that's unhelpful to say the least. Give the handling a bit of a test (throw the car around a country lane), and if it seems fine, keep them. I used to do a 50-mile round commute with Federal tyres and never had a hint of a problem, despite what the brand-snobs say about them.
tinyurl.com/26qdyh
tinyurl.com/22r32t

It would seem they're not as obscure as the name suggests.
Chinese tyres - JH
G
I think that just moves the question to "who are Cooper Tire & Rubber"? :-)

S, try 'em out, especially in the wet. As has been said above, Hankook and friends were once no name brands. They may be perfectly ok.

JH
Who are Cooper? This has just come up on another thread, they're the same company as Avon. So nothing to worry about provided they hold onto our lovely English roads.
Chinese tyres - JH
G
Avon are owned by a US company? Well, I never knew that!

'scuse me just off to reseat RAM, thanks for the tip.

JH
They certainly are!

www.avon-tyres.co.uk/?page=about
Chinese tyres - jase1
So, entirely possible then that Avon and this Chenshang are sharing R&D.

In fact, I'm sure that some Avons I had on my old car were made in China. Coincidence?
No, not coincidence. I had a pair of Avons that were made in China. Wouldn't surprise me if Cooper has bought Chenshang in order to start manufacturing its own tyres at cheaper prices in China. Entirely plausible that this is the only reason the Chenshang-branded tyres have made it to the UK as well. They're most likely old Avon patterns.
Chinese tyres - rebel
" I have just picked up my S reg Astra from the garage after requiring 4 new tyres to pass the MOT"

If your car required 4 new tyres to enable it to pass the MOT, then I would think that ANY new tyres legally available in this county would be considerably safer than the ones you have been happily chasing around the motorways on!
Very good point rebel. I agree ~10mm of Chinese tread would be vastly safer than under 1.6mm of Conti tread, especially when you need to brake on a wet motorway.
Chinese tyres - craneboy
Cant help but think though, that a Chinese made Avon is not the same tyre as a UK made Avon. They may share R&D and have the same patterns etc, but may use cheaper materials and have fewer quality control procedures in manufacture etc. Case in point: All the Chinese product recalls in the news lately.
Chinese tyres - Pugugly {P}
"All the Chinese product recalls in the news lately"

And that wasn't quite as reported remember....there was some backtracking later on !
Chinese tyres - isisalar
The building company I work for import a lot of stuff direct from china This includes Safety glasses where the vision is so bad you can easily fall over and dislocate your finger, and hammers that get dented faces when hitting nails. There is some wonderfull inexpensive quality gear coming out of china, and there is also a lot of total cack.Comments anyone?>
Chinese tyres - jase1
Hardly a surprise, surely?

China is the workshop of the world. It therefore stands to reason that some rubbish will come dribbling out of a lot of factories, particularly if you buy the cheapest available.

Some Chinese factories are still staffed by prison labour, and that is where a lot of the tack is coming from. Stories abound of prisoners building things like cheap batteries by hand, without protection of any kind.

That does not mean to say that in a nation of 1.2 billion people there aren't going to be some very good companies operating as well.

It's not as if Europe or the USA doesn't produce some dreck is it? Look at French Thomson televisions for example -- awful, awful junk.
Chinese tyres - craneboy
Check this out:

www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/06/china_tires...l
As discussed, the tyres fitted to the OP's car are made by a company under the same ownership as Avon tyres. The tyres in this article are for SUVs, and are made by an entirely different company. The only brand-name I recognise from that list is "Westlake", and I've only ever seen them on small cars in this country.

The "Made in ....." stamp on a tyre has very little bearing on its quality. Avons and Hankooks are made in China, and are on a lot of cars in this country. If there was a problem with either brand, I think we'd hear about it.
Chinese tyres - quizman

If I had a car with Chinese tyres on I would go straight to a tyre firm and get them changed for a decent tyre, perhaps a Michelin.

In a recent Which tyre test Michelin, Pirelli and Continentals came out top. Bottom with a much longer stopping rate in the rain were Chinese cheapo tyres.

If you shop around you will not have to pay much more for decent brand tyres, especially if the garage put them on without quoting you.

Some people say those who use premium tyres are brand snobs. I think that they are sensible and want to be as safe as they can. I say get the best tyres you can for the lowest price you can get. They will not cost much for an Astra.

Chinese tyres - bell boy
anybody who dismisses chinese tyres are short sighted in my opinion see here as an example tinyurl.com/258wb7
did i mention that the world supply of lead is now at two days supply? (updated 3,15pm just checked now down to one days supply ) does that mean we should ignore chinese car batteries?

on a footnote the wife and i (the queeny bit again folks) were in a famous dept store a week ago and were looking at articles when we came across country of origin stickers we realised 95% of the stuff we looked at was chinese the only exception being a jar of oranges but i suspect the glass was chinese made
pretty sobering......

the thing is with car parts there are plenty of chinese copies about especially at boot sales the best advice is if a part is too cheap then there is a good reason why

pps i believe my new camacs are chinese made and i for one dont care,the quality is there and so is the reasonable price i paid they will do everything i ask

Edited by bell boy on 07/10/2007 at 16:13

If I had a car with Chinese tyres on....

And the brand-snobs come out as predicted!

Totally agree with BB, it's short-sighted ignorance, and fear of the unknown. The majority of taxis around here have "cheap chinese" tyres on, and I've never heard of a case of an accident caused by one (imagine the publicity if a taxi had a blow-out caused by a faulty tyre, injuring a passenger).

Michelins aren't magic, they're just like any other tyre - they'll blow-out if under-inflated and driven at speed, they'll puncture when you drive over a nail, and they'll even lose traction if you push them too hard. Frankly I wouldn't waste my money on them. If the OP's Chinese tyres are performing to his satisfaction, does it really matter what's written on the sidewalls?
Chinese tyres - smokescreen
Have to agree, there's not one bit of quantifyable evidence for or against chinese tyres other than one written up blowout, yet they'll presume a brand will therefore be better.

A great example of this has to be the AutoExpress tyre review (the PDF is on www.marshaltyre.co.uk/ , thanks Aprillia for the heads up) which basically highlights how bad the Michellins of that generation for price/performance are, but also highlights how well the chinese makers are doing.

So point being, if your going to say 'product A is bad' , please have some evidence...
It's a dead-link Smokescreen.

May be worth looking here.

//www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/product_honours_2007/208620/tyre.html

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/10/2007 at 18:03

Chinese tyres - bell boy
yes agree thought it was me just not going to the "opera"

looks like the marshals gone to lynch

these are the views of an idiot and are not the views of this site ;-)

Edited by bell boy on 07/10/2007 at 18:02

Cant edit, so try : www.marshaltyre.co.uk/store/tyretest.pdf

The PDF contains more than the link above in terms of detail, so well worth a look.

(terrible jscript their side)

Edited by smokescreen on 07/10/2007 at 18:12

Chinese tyres - Paul I
Tyres are a subjective choice.... for a long time I've been a Michelin fan but the last lot the wear and casing quality was awful. On my Volvo I have Barum's which are made in a Conti factor alongside Conti's but are their thied brand the speed rating pattern etc are identical but some people will happily pay the extra a bit like buying an Audi Vs a Skoda

Above all though you have to find the right tyre for you car and what works on a Volvo estate may not work well on a Super mini for example.
Chinese tyres - quizman

>>>And the brand-snobs come out as predicted!

Yes you have flushed me out. I will stick to what I have said, I would rather drive down a sodden M1 in my Passat with snob tyres, snob brakes and snob Shell diesel than with cheapo Chinese tyres, ebay brakes and B&Q 20W/50 oil.
I would rather drive down a sodden M1 in my Passat with snob tyres snob brakes
and snob Shell diesel than with cheapo Chinese tyres ebay brakes and B&Q 20W/50 oil.

Whereas I'd use any tyres as long as they had a good amount of tread, quality branded brakes from a motor factor, quality oil from a motor factor, and Tesco's fuel. My car gets there just as safely/adequately, but a lot cheaper. A fool and his money...
Chinese tyres - FotheringtonThomas
They must meet standards to be sold in this country. See how you get on with them, they may be a winner.
Chinese tyres - Group B
They must meet standards to be sold in this country. See how you get on
with them they may be a winner.

That is my take on it. If they are CE marked and deemed fit for sale in the UK, surely they must be sufficiently safe?? My pet theory is they may grip and handle well enough to pass EU tests but the weak link will be treadwear?

Having said that I had some really awful tyres on a Golf once (same situation, garage fitted them and I thought, 'well I'll see what they are like') which were okay in the dry but scary in the wet, I got rid after a few months. But thats about 7 years ago now.

In an Auto Express test a few weeks ago the two brands that came bottom out of 16 were Yokohama and Pirelli. There must be plenty of people buying these thinking they are great tyres based on the name alone; and paying a price premium for them too.
They did not test any real 'unknown' brands, but the cheapest brands were Matador, Maxxis, Hankook and Kumho. Price was only given a minor weighting in the results but they all beat Pirelli and Yoko.

Chinese tyres - madf
It's easy to safely test your new tyres. After 2-3 weeks of wear , try them in a secluded open space in the wet. If they brake and corner ok, they're OK. Simple.

If they are carp, you'll soon know. (I drove a Mercedes 260 in the wet on worn rear tyres and it was a scary experience:-(

I think brand snobs perform a useful function in life. They give discerning buyers and suppliers a price / performance target to beat and they enable retailers to keep their margins lower on better performing and lower priced products.

Long may they live:-)

madf
I think brand snobs perform a useful function in life.

Good point madf. Without people paying way over the odds, there wouldn't be the scope for others to get genuine bargains. Just looked on Tyreshopper (National Tyres) for my car's size - a Tigar budget tyre is £33 fitted. A Michelin E3A is £60 fitted. Not hugely expensive, but still almost double the price of the perfectly good budget brand. Fit a set of 4 and save over £100.
Chinese tyres - nick
I've just bought four Federal tyres for my '72 Opel Kadett. It's hardly a roadburner so anything reasonable would do. I asked around about them and was told that many budget tyres will perform nearly as well as the top brands but tend to wear much quicker. That suits me as age cracking usually kills a tyre on my old cars before mileage wear does. The tyres that were on the car were Michelins with loads of tread but made in 1993 and with loads of cracks on the sidewalls and ariound the tread blocks. The ride quality and grip was much improved by fitting the Federals.
Chinese tyres - henry k
>>If they are CE marked and deemed fit for sale in the UK, surely they must be sufficiently safe??

IIRC as part of the recent coverage of the faulty toys problem, the CE mark is not all it is thought to be. The CE mark is self policing by the manufacturer.
Chinese tyres - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The important marking is the E mark. For example my Interstate IST Touring ,Chinese made tyres are marked E4. This forum told me that this means they were inspected and tested by an independent Netherlands lab. Something to be said for that.

For my daily commute and a tour of France they have been fine. I get the feeling through the steering that the rubber is a bit harder, as white lines and grooves in the road produce noticable kickback.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 08/10/2007 at 13:51

Chinese tyres - jase1
My experience of Hankooks is that they tend to last quite a bit longer than tyres from the like of Michelin and Continental, despite being much cheaper.

Rubber is rubber, and as far as wear is concerned it is all down to the compromises between longevity and grip that are put down on the specification.

The Hankooks on the Hyundai gripped the road perfectly well enough, although it must be said that the car's soft suspension discouraged enthusiastic cornering so they never really lived on the limit!

If this Chinese company are making tyres on an OEM basis for car manufacturers there can't be too much wrong with them. Far rather those than some unknown East-European tyre from a company which has no links to manufacturers at all, or worse, a remould. Bear in mind that the Chinese can get their hands on lots and lots of cheap rubber as a high percentage of the stuff is harvested there.

Edited by jase1 on 08/10/2007 at 14:23

Chinese tyres - bell boy
Bear in mind that the Chinese can get their hands on lots and lots of cheap rubber as a high percentage of the stuff is harvested there.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> you will be saying it grows on trees next ;-)
Rubber is rubber ..........

That is completely untrue. There are many types/specifications of rubber, and the specification has to be carefully chosen to suit the application. Some cheap rubber components on sale are clearly "not fit for purpose". On one occasion I fitted a cheap washer to a cold water tap and within a few weeks it had swelled so much (on diameter as well as thickness) that it completely failed to seal.
--
L\'escargot.
Chinese tyres - jase1
>> Rubber is rubber ..........
That is completely untrue. There are many types/specifications of rubber and the specification has to
be carefully chosen to suit the application.

What I meant by that was that the key to a good tyre is in its specification, not where it comes from.

To hear some folk on here you'd think that a tyre is rubbish because it's cheap Chinese rubber. Totally untrue -- like anything else, there is good and bad coming out of China. To dismiss tyres because (a) you've personally never heard of them, and (b) they're made in some strange foreign country is prejudicial.
Chinese tyres - bell boy
i think we are just going round in circles now
the arguments are wearing thin
we are treading on too many thin arguments
some people talk a lot of hot air
we must keep the pressure up
we must not let this thread down

any more?
Bear in mind that the Chinese can get their hands on lots and lots of
cheap rubber as a high percentage of the stuff is harvested there.

A lot of rubber ~ in fact some of the most sophisticated rubber ~ is synthetic.
--
L\'escargot.
Chinese tyres - Alan
I had a pair chinese tyres of another make a few years ago and the braking in the wet was so bad it was so bad it was dangerous. Never again. There were too many brown trouser moments.
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
Rubber is rubber.

However, car tyres are made from a recipe. So not all tyres are all tyres (if you get my drift).

If OP is happy to drive on 4 illegal tyres, I suggest his worries amount to pure ignorant prejudice. He however has the sense to admit it so has sought advice.

The wrong place to come as nobody can offer the advice he needs. Save for more ignorant prejudice but delivered as fact.

My brother is an engineer in the rubber chemicals industry. His 06 Astra has Goodyear Eagles where he has replaced the front tyres - £100 - 150 a corner?. He looked at my tyres and said 'they're good tyres'. Thanks, I said, they were £20 second hand. This is neither evidence, nor helpful to OP, sorry!
"if you get my drift"

Especially true on a RWD !
Chinese tyres - quizman

>>>Rubber is rubber.

The above quote reminded me of other rubber products, I would not use Chinese ones either!

I find this brand snob thing rather funny. As if people get a kick out of having brand tyres, pleeease.

As I have said before, I want to trust my tyres in bad conditions. Nobody can dispute the Which tyre test, the cheapos braking distance was much longer.

Under no circumstances would I use second hand tyres, you do not know where they have been.
Chinese tyres - bell boy
Under no circumstances would I use second hand tyres you do not know where they
have been.

>>>>>>>>> round the block a few times maybe ;-) ?
Chinese tyres - craneboy
>> Under no circumstances would I use second hand tyres you do not know where
they
>> have been.

But would you change the tyres when buying a second hand car? Your running on part worns then
Chinese tyres - quizman

>>>But would you change the tyres when buying a second hand car?

Yes I would. I bought a second hand Astra some years ago. The day after a long quick run a tyre was flat. The tyre fitter told me the tyre was lethal, it had had an agricultural repair and should not go faster than 20 mph! I bought 4 new tyres straight away, I forget the make but they were a brand that I had heard of.
I had bought the car off a female farmer, I think she was a bit mean, you know the sort buys everything cheap.
I never liked the car, it smelt of dogs. I could not get rid of the smell, when going out I had to open the doors an hour before. The wife would not drive it at all.
Chinese tyres - jase1
> But would you change the tyres when buying a second hand car? Your running on part worns then

The difference is that it is a reasonably fair bet that these tyres haven't been in an accident, especially if you're talking four tyres with roughly equal tread that were obviously replaced at the same time (or in pairs).

With part-worns, they could have been in a nasty accident and be shot inside, you just don't know.

Far rather have virgin budget tyres on a car than part-worns, sorry.

If I bought a car where the four tyres were different makes, and one was on its way, I'd get the lot done, yes.
I find this brand snob thing rather funny. As if people get a kick out
of having brand tyres pleeease.

People assume (wrongly) that because they're buying into a well-known brand, they're somehow getting an amazing product that will outperform anything else. That's not the case, and anyone would be ignorant if they didn't realise that different tyres will perform differently on different cars.

If the OP's Chinese tyres are performing as he wishes, and are up to UK spec, saying he should remove them because of their origin is sheer prejudice and stupidity. I replaced the Chinese-made Avons that were fitted to my car when I bought it, purely because it'd been stood for months in hot weather and they'd gone oval, causing wheel-wobble. It was annoying because they still had a good 5mm of tread remaining. The tyres I replaced them with were Chinese-made Hankooks, which I've driven in all weathers (including snow), and they've performed very well. They're also wearing incredibly well.
Chinese tyres - MichaelR
People assume (wrongly) that because they're buying into a well-known brand they're somehow getting an
amazing product that will outperform anything else.

No, people buy proper, decent tyres becuase they get proper, decent reviews in proper, decent tyre tests by proper, decent members of the UK motoring press.

Chinese tyres should not be fitted to UK cars, to do so is dangerous, and if you really are that cheap that you think its acceptable there is a public transport system for people who don't think safety is important.

I wouldn't mind if it was only you that would fly off the road in the soaking wet with your cheap, rubbish tyres but the trouble is you might involve somebody else.
Chinese tyres - craneboy
s

Edited by craneboy on 08/10/2007 at 19:50

Chinese tyres - bell boy
to be fair craneboy i have had some tyres fail the mot lately and have missed it on my pre check,the treads have actually been fine but on one there was cracking of the sidewall (subjective) and another was tracked off even though i missed it,so it would be wrong to think the OP was running round on skids
in my opinion only of course
Craneboy,

Did you lose your post ? Another bug ??
Chinese tyres - craneboy
Snipquote
Did you lose your post ? Another bug ??

Not sure what happened there

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/10/2007 at 22:43

Several years ago I put nothing other than Kumos, (however they are spelt) on a variety of vans and reasonably quick cars and I have nothing but praise for them. And they lasted. But don't suppose anything...............Once upon a time Britain was deemed "Great"!!

Best regards......MD
There were too many brown trouser moments.
>>
M & S?

VBR..MD
Chinese tyres - Boggy
Brown trouser moments? My Mondeo came with 3 Linglongs and an "Event". Handled like a shopping trolley full of logs in the wet. Re-shod couple of weeks ago with a Good Year Excellence at each corner and wow, what a difference. Never skimp on the only part of your car that's in contact with the road.
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
Quizman:>>Would you change the tyres on a second hand car? "Yes".

So what about a hire car? And what if you lend your car to a friend? And what if your wife takes the car round the corner without you?

Do you change the tyres then?

Tell me, do you have a new braking system installed on second hand cars, 'just in case'?

There's being careful and there's paranoia. If second hand or budget tyres caused accidents then their suppliers would end up in court under manslaughter charges and such tyres would not be on sale. Alternatively, drivers would be prosecuted for running unroadworthy vehicles and would not buy such tyres.

Edited by Mapmaker on 09/10/2007 at 11:50

If second hand or budget tyres caused accidents then
their suppliers would end up in court under manslaughter
charges and such tyres would not be on sale.

MM, stop all this logic! It's obvious that a tyre with a fancy name on it will outperform them all. Full stop. No exceptions. Because daring to suggest otherwise might make people question whether they really needed to spend £100 a corner on their Michelins.

Meanwhile the rest of us will just buy adequate tyres for £30-40 a corner, and enjoy the cheaper costs of car ownership.
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
If only the edit button were any use, Greg, I'd delete my above post. Sorry for posting such nonsense.

Funnily enough, the guys whom I buy my second hand tyres from are far more skilled operators than any quick-fit-type operation. They have low staff turnover, well-trained staff and I've never had a tyre that isn't properly balanced - unlike the quick-fit operators.

And I reckon that £25 a corner for a premium brand with 6mm, balanced, no disposal charge, is a bargain.

Strangely, I do accept that brand makes a difference. Different tyres do have different performance characteristics. I'm not sure I care, though!
Chinese tyres - normd2
I'm with Mapmaker on this one - there's a second hand tyre place I use that ALWAYS has at least a dozen cars queuing down the road and there's room for four at a time on the hard standing. The staff are invariably friendly, efficient and actually seem to care! I have never had any issues with tyres from them and I trust them when they say each tyre is individually inspected before they put it on their racks.
Sorry for posting such nonsense.

Apology accepted. I suggest you take your logical thoughts and post them elsewhere!
Funnily enough the guys whom I buy my second hand tyres from are far more
skilled operators than any quick-fit-type operation.

Surely not! You mean an independent could be better than a national chain? Again, these thoughts are dangerous and do not belong in this thread!
Strangely I do accept that brand makes a difference. Different tyres do have different
performance characteristics. I'm not sure I care though!

Different characteristics suit different cars too. My brand-new Hankooks were £27.50 each fitted (find them cheaper than that for 185/65HR14!) - they suit my car very well, and fixed the understeer that the (much harder) Avons were causing in the wet. However on my last car, the Avons fitted didn't compromise the handling.

Edited by GregSwain on 09/10/2007 at 12:44

Just out of interest are you getting these Hankooks supplied and fitted in county durham? If so where?
Philip Wilks in Howden-le-Wear. Worked for them at the time, so got a discount off the (already good) retail price. It's changed hands since, so I don't know if the prices are still as good.
Thanks a lot, looking for Hankooks in the north east but its near impossible to find them!
Croxdale fast-fit do Hankooks as well - they've got branches dotted around the north east.
Just called a local(ish) one, they dont do hankooks and according to them, neither do the other branches though not too sure whether to believe that.
Well a couple of months ago I got tyres for a friend's Primera from their branch at Croxdale (nr Durham) and Hankooks were definitely offered as an option. Ended up getting Marangonis, which I'd never previously heard of!
I'll drop them a line in that case and get it done whilst passing. Many thanks.
Chinese tyres - quizman

Hire car, I have a look round.
Wife driving, well the nearside front tyrewall is usually bald after a few trips to the shops. My mother's car was the same, is it something about women drivers?
Friends, I haven't got any.
Braking system on second hand cars, I buy new and keep for quite a long time.
Paranoia, why is everyone picking on me?
Chinese tyres - DP
Brown trouser moments? My Mondeo came with 3 Linglongs and an "Event".

For maximum excitement, put the new Excellences on the front and leave the Linglongs on the back.

I was running NCT5's and Courier remoulds for a while. No understeer at all!! :-)
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Chinese tyres - Sim-O
I heard of Chen Shan from my yoof, on scooters and bangers.
They had the nickname Chen Shan Slipeezee.
They were quite good for inexperienced drivers wanting to practice understeer and over steer control in underpowered cars we could afford then.
That was over a decade ago now, so they might different know.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Chinese tyres - bell boy

185/65/hr14 hankooks are £25.77 to me thrown off the back of the wholesalers van (receipted obviously) add a removal tax of 75 pence per old casing and so your local dealer is selling em for nowt greg :-(
i used to sell s/h tyres and know all the tricks,personally i wouldnt fit repaired tyres with a hot or cold vulcanise on any of my vehicles unless i personally had inspected the casing prior to repair (always remember a good tread s/h tyre came of a doner vehicle for a reason)

Edited by bell boy on 09/10/2007 at 13:47

your local dealer is selling em for nowt greg

Well I knew I'd got them for a good price, but I had no idea I'd got that good a deal! Wish I'd kept my job there, I could've had all sorts for rockbottom prices! Even National Tyres budget "Tigar" brand is £33 fitted, so I doubt I'll get such a good deal anywhere else now!
Chinese tyres - normd2
at my last company the tyres on the company cars were changed when they got to 5-6mm regardless, part of the lease agreement. A mobile fitter used to come round and change them in the car park. I once asked if he'd sell me some good ones but they all had to be accounted for :(
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
Wow. Tell that to TVM whose are changed at 1.6000mm
Chinese tyres - Blue {P}
I wouldn't buy anything that was too cheap, my BMW E36 had a mishmash of old branded and modern cheapo gizmo tyres on and it was a complete and utter dog to drive in the wet. Changed for Hankooks which absolutely transformed the handling.

Now I try to stick to Hankook which pretty much seems to be a good mix of price and performance.

Blue
Chinese tyres - Shaz {p}
I think even the large firms can have variances when they manufacture in China.

For example the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (I think it was the F1) - rubbish grip in the wet on the tyres manufactured in East Asia / China, quite a lot of complaints on this. The German manufactured tyres were very highly rated.

--------------------------------------------------------
04 Alfa Romeo 156 SW JTD 20v - Loving it.
Chinese tyres - Walton2
Surely the problem with Chinese tyres is that if you have a couple fitted, fairly soon you want to have some more....
Chinese tyres - quizman

I've been thinking about this Chinese tyre thread.
Even if I thought the Chinese tyres were any good I wouldn't buy them. China is building dirty coal fired power stations as fast as they can, cancelling out anything we in the UK do to stop global warming/climate change. Their human rights history is shocking, such as shooting protesters in Tianamon square.
They only allow people to have one child, so many baby girls are killed at birth.
Boatloads of goods, made in sweatshops, flood our shops, taking away jobs here.
They can shove their tyres, I will buy European thanks.
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
If everybody followed your lead, Quizman, inflation would be about 15% per annum. Not to say you're right or wrong.
Chinese tyres - J Bonington Jagworth
"Boatloads of goods"

But that's the problem - can you really avoid buying Chinese? More difficult than you think...

BTW, global warming is almost nothing to do with CO2 or coal, but I realise that's another discussion!
Chinese tyres - bell boy
quizman see my post dated Sun 7 Oct 07 15:11 further up,i think you will be very hard pressed to live the non chinese influence life
Chinese tyres - quizman

Bell boy, I agree with your earlier post. I was shopping in Makro when I noticed rows of Chinese toys, drills, tools and other shoddy looking stuff. This prompted me to have a go at the Chinese. Do we really need all these goods? Wouldn't it be better for the non workers in this country to make them instead?
Even if I thought the Chinese tyres were any good I wouldn't buy them.

That has been overwhelmingly obvious throughout the thread. As I said, brand snobbery - you'll buy from one brand over another purely because of their factory's location! I'm not buying into a policital regime every time I put tyres on my car, whether that be a Chinese or European regime. Likewise I'm not buying into a regime every time I buy a TV, computer, or almost any other electronic device - all of which will contain at least 1 Chinese-made component. What a ridiculous argument to put forward.
"I'm not buying into a political regime every time I put tyres on my car"

Me neither, but I might think twice about buying, say, Burmese tyres. That's assuming I'm not already, as they may well be a source of rubber, which is of course the problem - I'd like to avoid supporting corrupt regimes, but a) I don't know exactly who makes what any more, and b) will I be hurting the right people if I buy elsewhere, assuming that option exists?

If only everything could be suitably labelled...

Chinese tyres - Hamsafar
Exactly who knows what's made where, when you only have to slice foreign bacon within the UK, and call it BRITISH BACON with a union flag and tractor on the packaging, all legal and above board. Maybe they will import tyre carcasses as raw material and cut the lateral groves and call them MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN?
Chinese tyres - quizman

Hamsafar, you are right when you say that the union flag can be put on imported food, cut up in the UK. I think this should be stopped.
But I have been assured that if you have the little red tractor on your food it is 100% born and reared in the UK.

The best tractor tyres are Michelin and Kleiber. They last longer, grip better and are more comfortable on the road. The cheapo Russian ones don't last long.
I dont think its brand snobbery entirely, I think its more to do with making an emotional decision, which is where the marketing presence will be more important. As mentioned above, they feel more 'secure' on branded tyres, even though a good chinese set from a good manufacturer can equal the branded tyres. But they still feel the others are better.
Chinese tyres - quizman

GregSwain, I don't think I will change your mind as you certainly will not change mine.
I don't think that I am a brand snob. But I do buy good branded products because I think they are better value for money.
I drink London Pride, not because of advertising, because it is wonderful.
I drink Fleurie, Morgon and when I am feeling flush Nuits St Georges, compare these to Piat d' Or!
I put Castol oil in my cars and tractors because I have always been pleased with the results.
We have gone through the tyre business, but you cannot refute the Which tests.
Buy a set of screwdrivers on a market stall and see how long they will last.
I am fairly careful when buying products, I get several quotes, it's surprising how much you can save. One of the reasons I replied to this thread was because the OP's garage had put on these Chinese tyres without a quote. I bet they charged him Michelin prices. If you are going to have cheapos at least pay less.
Quite how you got a set of tyres for £25 each fitted puzzles me, ship them halfway round the world, fit them, balance them, put a new valve on, a bit of profit, bowl of rice for the worker in the sweatshop. it's beyond me.
Ahhh now we've reached a point where we agree. Buying good products. Yes, I buy good products, but do they have to always have a brand-name on? No.

I drink John Smiths for the same reason. But with oil, I look for specs above brand-names, and I tend to think Castrol is overpriced. Any semi-synth SL-spec oil is good enough for my engine. Tools - I buy mid-range, because I don't use them every day, but I don't want them to fall apart when I use them alongside the gentle persuasion of a hammer either.

As for the OP being charged "Michelin prices", read his post again. He says the tyres were significantly cheaper than premium brands. I bought a pair of Federals 2 years ago for £23 each, and that was retail price. They were good tyres too, far outperforming the Pirellis they replaced. "Good" does not have to mean "branded". That's all I've been saying.
As for the OP being charged "Michelin prices" read his post again. He says the
tyres were significantly cheaper than premium brands.

They were indeed..£29 a corner fitted,as compared to £49 for Michelin Energy. However just like the Michelins they are DOT and E coded, and also A traction & temperature rated. This must count for something!
This must count for something!

Well you'd think so wouldn't you - some people don't look at the important writing on the sidewalls though. How are you finding them?
SQ
Absolutely fine thanks. Very quiet and not noticed any change in handling of the vehicle. Even had a chance to try them in the wet the other day..My driving style would certainly never test any tyre to its limit, but they seem perfectly grippy enough for me.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/10/2007 at 22:59

Chinese tyres - craneboy
They can shove their tyres I will buy European thanks.

Have to agree with Greg here. The fact is we now live in a global economy. Its ironic that if you went out and bought the most expensive premium brand European manufactured tyres you could get your hands on, the chances are they would contain rubber or steel sourced from China.
Chinese tyres - freddy1
OK , been watching this post for a while , chen chin tyres are widly used in australia and simular countrys , and loved by taxi firms.

whilst rebuilding one of me "old" bikes ,,,1955 BSA bantam , i found that the ONLY mfg of 2.75 x 19 was chen chin , BUT are branded "maxis" ,,

ok they work , ok and came in at the right price ,,,(no alternatives)

have used em for 3 yrs now ,,,no probs

alan
Chinese tyres - bell boy
a quick google finds me pirellis
not cheap but they are availabubble
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
>>As mentioned above, they feel more 'secure' on branded tyres

Now generally I should suggest that feeling more secure is likely to pay dividends in safety terms. Turn up to a job interview in a good suit which makes you feel good about yourself you're more likely to get the job.

But with tyres, shouldn't you run on tyres that make you *feel* UNSAFE (but are not unsafe)? Then you'd be less likely to push the car too far.

The corollary is that if you feel safer on equivalent tyres that are branded rather than Chinese you are MORE likely to have an accident on the branded tyres.
I disagree MM, I think thet feeling of "security" is purely psychological. Very rarely do I consciously think "my only contact with the road is Korean-branded Chinese-made rubber". People decide they wouldn't want these tyres (without good reason, having never tested them) and come up with every excuse in the book to justify their viewpoint. Let's face it, if I'd just spent £60 on a tyre, £30 of which was for the name, I'd want to justify it somehow.

Long may they continue to be ripped off, so that non-premium tyres are kept at a nice low price for the cost-conscious motorist.
"ripped off"

There may be an element of that, but Western-made anything has to include labour costs that are at least ten times as much. Manufacturing costs in China and India are dramatically lower than here, for all sorts of reasons, and although we enjoy the benefits at the moment, the long-term effects are worrying and unpredictable.

Not wishing to get political, but I remember when the 'trade gap' (difference between imports and exports) was a regular headline and worry for the chancellor, who had to go cap-in-hand to the IMF for a Big Loan, with red faces all round. Now, apparently, we can borrow as much as we like and it doesn't matter, which is just as well, as we don't make anything anymore anyway! And guess who we owe all the money to..?

Interesting motoring-connected piece on this here: tinyurl.com/2apnba
Western-made anything has to include labour costs
that are at least ten times as much.

If 90% of people started buying Chinese-made budget tyres, the prices would sneak up, and the price of the European tyres would come down (OK, not quite to the same level because of production costs). Supply and demand.
"If 90% of people started buying Chinese-made budget tyres, the prices would sneak up"

Only if they're short on capacity, which seems unlikely. What about economies of scale?
Only if they're short on capacity which seems unlikely.

If demand rises and supply remains constant, the price will rise. As for economies of scale - if everyone's queueing up for Cheng Shans, the retail price won't fall just because the importers are bringing more into the country and paying less per unit.
"If demand rises and supply remains constant"

A big if! The Chinese have got where they are by meeting demand pretty well everywhere - it's something they're very good at. I'm not sure the normal laws of S&D apply much at the moment anyway, because the labour cost issue is so dominant. I don't see prices falling where demand slips, either, e.g. for US-made vehicles. If competition is too stiff, producers just fold.

Also, you can be sure that the importers are making a healthy margin. The factory-gate price of most Chinese goods is shockingly low.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 12/10/2007 at 13:16

A big if!

Well not entirely - every supply chain has a weak link. It takes weeks to ship a container from China - if the increase in demand has not been forecast at least a month beforehand, the factory can churn out as many tyres as it wants but it won't help the UK importer keep meeting immediate demand. As you say though, the labour costs are what's keeping China on top of the game at the moment, and supply seems almost infinite.
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
>> Only if they're short on capacity which seems unlikely.
If demand rises and supply remains constant the price will rise.

Only if there is insufficient capacity in China for creating more tyres, which as stated above seems very unlikely.
As for economies of
scale - if everyone's queueing up for Cheng Shans the retail price won't fall just
because the importers are bringing more into the country and paying less per unit.

Yes it will. Because otherwise somebody will start importing Shen Changs which will be priced lower as they will be a newer product so Cheng Shans will have to reduce their price too.
Yes it will. Because otherwise somebody will start importing Shen Changs....

But that alters the situation further by introducing a competitor. Obviously Mr Importer wants to stay competitive, but until the "Shen Changs" hit British shores he doesn't have to reduce his prices by a penny, regardless of how much he's paying Mr Cheng Shan.

Or, in the true spirit of free enterprise(!!), Mr Importer could meet his competitor for lunch, and arrange to fix their prices ;-)

Only in the BR could a thread change from "Should I keep my chinese tyres?" to "Business for beginners - chapter 1: importing tyres"
Chinese tyres - Mapmaker
Greg, think you have completely missed my point, :)

I want them to feel psychologically UNSAFE on the grounds that they will be less likely to push their car beyond its limits.
Chinese tyres - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
In the interests of this forum I have driven my Interstate Touring IST shod Passat estate that bit harder.
I can say that even on damp twisty roads nothing more than safe mild understeer was noted. In dry conditions the grip exceeded my skills. I am content with them.

Now to try that emergency stop on wet motorway from 85mph......
Greg, think you have completely missed my point, :)

Oops, you appear to be right. I agree that some drivers have a lot of misplaced confidence, but I fear the only effect of putting cheap "less secure" tyres on their car would be giving them something else to blame when their over-confidence spins them off the road.
> But with tyres shouldn't you run on tyres that make you *feel* UNSAFE (but are
> not unsafe)? Then you'd be less likely to push the car too far.
>
> The corollary is that if you feel safer on equivalent tyres that are branded rather
> than Chinese you are MORE likely to have an accident on the branded tyres.

I agree with that. Currently running on Michelin Energy 3a's, and they really dont inspire much confidence as soon as the ground becomes even the slightest bit damp. I know that if I push them a bit too much in comparison to other tyres I've had, I've had it! But I rather have some tyres with a bit more grip in a wet situation rather than go into ultra-safe driving mode and still have to pray that the rubber is gonna grip when I do need to push. Hence they're coming off later this month.
Hence they're coming off later this month.

Here's an idea smokescreen. Put some Cheng Shans on it, and then we'll have the answer to this thread! ;-)
Provide me some evidence they'll grip well in the wet and I may do so... until then, Hankooks or a certain set of Kumho's for me.
Chinese tyres - craneboy
. Their human rights history is
shocking

Continental made tyres for the nazis in WW2. Should we avoid those too?
Chinese tyres - quizman

>>>Continental made tyres for the nazis in WW2. Should we avoid those too?

Yes of course. Also we must avoid the people's car(sadly I have got one) Mercs, they made plane engines, Bosch, Krupps and all sorts of German sounding names.
The Japanesse were very unpleasant to my uncle and quite a few others, so that's the end of Kawasaki sounding companies.

To be serious, in China the human rights excesses are going on now. I would rather buy my goods made by workers who are not exploited too much.
And those Vikings weren't very nice either...

I agree about the workers, although it's ironic that there are queues of job applicants at the gates of many Asian factories, as it still represents a step up from subsistence agriculture. Not defending it, but it's a complex subject, and you can't blame them for wanting to earn enough to buy some of what they themselves are making!
Chinese tyres - gordonbennet
If everything Chinese is all of a sudden so good, i presume you will all be trading in your overpriced European rubbish and buy Chinese cars.

At the very least they will have fantastic Chinese tyres which is just as well because the crash test footage for cars from there don't look too good. So the incredible grip from the tyres will be handy to keep you out of trouble.

Bet i'm going to wish i hadn't said that.

ttfn
Chinese tyres - craneboy
Perhaps they could offer a budget option on tyres at future F1 Gp's. Would love to see Mclarens running on "Linglong" slicks..lol
"Bet i'm going to wish i hadn't said that."

Probably. Remember when Japanese bikes and cars were ridiculed by Brits who 'knew' that their machines were superior? When you consider that these included agricultural implements like the Panther 250 or Austin Maxi, you have to wonder at our arrogance...
Chinese tyres - Vin {P}
And on the subject of bikes and tyres, take a look at an 80's bike mag. Bridgestone tyres used to be utterly ridiculed. Dunlop (or Japlop, as they were so wittily named) tyres from Japan used to be ridiculed...

There still seems to be a belief that Western goods must, for some unstated reason, always be better that eastern goods, at least on a technical level. Read some of the used bike press and you'll fined that they still think old British iron is better than new Japanese.

Keep up that mindset and it leads to the poorhouse. Compete or die.

V
"they still think old British iron is better than new Japanese"

I suppose it is if you enjoy roadside maintenance! What the Japanese understood and we appeared not to, was that however glamorous the image, most people paying their own money want reliability (and freedom from oil leaks) first. The Beetle sold on this for years, despite regular slating in the press, muttering rotters rarely having to part with their own cash for such things.

That's not to say that we didn't do a good job sometimes, but we're a bit slow to recognise progress elsewhere. I've hardly laid a spanner on my Suzuki (bike) in three years, although it does have Avon tyres on it. I wonder where they're made..?
Remember when Japanese bikes and cars were ridiculed by Brits who 'knew' that their
machines were superior?

Is there any comparison between the wonderfully British K-series, and the Mitsubishi-based units used by Hyundai/Kia which are obviously inferior because they come from somewhere where they eat dogs? Thought not, give me the Kia unit any day.

A lot of posters in the BR are still living in 1960 I'm afraid. Meanwhile, back in 2007, give it 10 years, and Kia will be just as well-accepted as Honda. Car-makers will be opening Chinese factories, and selling cars made in them to the UK market. 90% of tyres will be made in China, even if they're marketed through their European "heritage". Even Victor Meldrew can't stop it from happening ;-)
Whilst I agree that there is a perception that Western products are better than anything from the Far East, the only thoughts I can add is from experience of Japanese tyres on bog standard bikes I owned in the 70s and 80s, they could be dreadful for instance aKawasaki GT750 on Japanese Bridgestone (frightening) I threw these away after a couple of months and replaced them with a set of Metzlers and it transformed the bike. I accept that there was a change and that Japanese rubber easily compared with the best that Europe had to offer....