Renault Clio Sport Tourer 1.5 cDi Dynamique TomTom - Poor mpg and high tickover - JulesM

I bought my new car, on a 60 plate, about 3 weeks ago, and went on a long motorway journey last weekend.

Very disappointed as only got 45.2 mpg on a journey of 240 miles. Last 45 miles of return journey were at 50mph (roadworks on M1) and it went up to 47.7 mpg

I noticed today that when idling the rev counter is on nearly 1000 rpm, so wondering it car is revving too high and this is the problem with poor mpg?

Previously had a Megane Estate, 2006, and it happily did 55mpg on the same motorway journey.

This week the mpg is starting to come down even further. I know you never believe the figures stated on manufacturers info but checking on the" real mpg" on this site it's saying I should be getting around 56mpg. Also read some reviews on other sites saying that people are getting much higher....!

Any suggestions, please. I'll be happy if I can get the Clio to match my Megane

Renault Clio Sport Tourer 1.5 cDi Dynamique TomTom - Poor mpg and high tickover - dieselnut

With a tickover at 1000 it sounds like the ECU thinks the engine is cold.

If it has a temperature guage is that showing normal temperature after 3 or 4 miles?

Does the heater work well ?

If not, it could be the thermostat is stuck open slightly overcooling the engine.

If the temperature guage & heater are ok it could just be a sensor telling the ECU wrong info, but you will need a diagnostic test to check that.

Edited by dieselnut on 12/12/2014 at 11:59

Renault Clio Sport Tourer 1.5 cDi Dynamique TomTom - Poor mpg and high tickover - JulesM

With a tickover at 1000 it sounds like the ECU thinks the engine is cold.

If it has a temperature guage is that showing normal temperature after 3 or 4 miles?

Does the heater work well ?

If not, it could be the thermostat is stuck open slightly overcooling the engine.

If the temperature guage & heater are ok it could just be a sensor telling the ECU wrong info, but you will need a diagnostic test to check that.

The heater isn't working properly, no heat to the feet, and does seem to blow hot and cold too.

I can't say I've notice that the temp guage isn't correct, but will check tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I can look into what you've told me.

Cheers