Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - shauncoles

Has anyone come across DSG gearbox failures on this car. Its 2012 with 24k miles. Made funny noises 8 weeks ago and it was diagnosed as "clutch" failure and repaired under warranty. Now its making funny noises again and they have had to remove gearbox again and it's diagnosed as failed bearings in the flywheel area which has to be rebuilt again. Its a shame as I think the DSG gearbox is great; seamless changes/gearshifts!

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - Simon

Aren't most VAG group DSG's problematic??? I haven't taken too much notice of which models and engine combinations are worst, but there are enough bad reports to put me off owning one!

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - daveyjp
Had 2 DSG A3, but they were on diesels so the wet clutch version. First was fine, second needed expensive warranty work at about 18 months.

Definately something which is better with the comfort of a warranty.
Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - Avant

There have been more problems with the dry-clutch version, as fitted to Shaun's Octavia, than with the wet clutch as on mine (2.0 TSI), which has been fine for 30,000 miles. But as I come up to retirement my next Octavia, which I may need to keep for longer, is going to be a manual. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all yr inputs; the dealer has now fixed the gearbox and reports they replaced the flywheel and some needle bearings. It does not get heavy use, I don't tow anything and its normally just me, rarely carry more than one passenger nor do I sit in many traffic jams. I pick it up tomorrow. If it goes wrong again I will sell it. I don't want a manual box so do I get another non-VW group auto estate? Suggestions? Mercedes? Thanks Shaun

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - gordonbennet

Very seldom do Mercedes auto boxes go wrong, mine is 17 years old ,apart from regular oil and filter changes has not been touched and is as good as new.

I think its true to say that most who contribute here, who buy their own cars and keep them after warranty has expired, would even consider a DSG or automated manual gearbox.

Company car and under manufacturers warranty risk only IMO doubt if even one will still be original at 17 years old.

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - Falkirk Bairn

>>Very seldom do Mercedes auto boxes go wrong,

Lots of problems in the early 2000's - valeo cooling radiators in MB auto boxes burst and wrote of the box....and in many cases the car!

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - oldroverboy.

If you pick it up tomorrow, sell it asap, and get yourself one of the koreans, (or japs) toyota, honda, hyundai and kia don,t seem to have these problems, or chevrolet with their torque converter boxes. Vag will only learn when the badge snobs desert in droves.

Don't forget that a lot of modern cars are engineered to last for the warranty period and fleet sales. HJ has his own thoughts on this. And I agree entirely with him on this point.

Personally would never have any VAG product, saw at first hand problems in the 80's, and the way the dealer dealt with an overheating engine on a petrol jetta was pitiful, "No sir it is not overheating in spite of fan on and water being expelled via pressure cap." Got rid of car still under warranty as px and then i was called did i know anything about problems when it broke down, referred them to service dept..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 31/10/2013 at 12:27

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - daveyK_UK

Another DSG problem.

Recalled all around the world except for europe.

Are they repairing them out of warranty in Germany?

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - oldroverboy.

VAG insist it is a different box. FEET =VOTE with!

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - NorwegianTrust

My 1.4 TSI DSG estate from 2010 (I bought it new) still work like a dream :-)

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - daveyK_UK

you used the word still

ticking time bomb

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4T petrol 2012 - Skoda DSG gearbox failure - ike2

Like NorewianTrust, my Octavia 1.4Tsi dsg estate works perfectly and as it ticks all the boxes that I need from a car I am loathed to get rid of it.

I need an automatic as I have an injury to my left shoulder which makes changing gear difficult. I need a car capable of carrying 4 people and a dog. I had a Nissan Qashqai before which was too high for my elderly parents and my elderly dog to get in and out of so another SUV or 4x4 is a no go. I don't do that many miles so a petrol engine is better than a diesel. In view of these constraints, and a budgetary one of £10k, what else is out there that I could buy now if I chose to get rid of the Octavia?

Well my local Skoda dealer rebuilt the DSG box 3 weeks ago; it needed bearings and a new flywheel. It runs perfectly now and changes much smoother than I ever remember in first year of ownership. So guess it had a problem from early days. It changes sealessly and changes down much better when you need power to overtake. Before it would change down too much on kickdown and rev excessively.

I will give it a second chance. They gave me a petrol Yeti to drive with DSG and it was not nearly so nice to drive, nor spacious but it did handle Norfolk pot holes and speed bumps better....