Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Alfred Rees-Glinos

Hi there. A friend of mine is giving up her K11 Nissan Micra manual to her son-she wants an automatic as she feels less confident on the roads now. She wants another small car. I know that Japanese cars are very reliable, so I'm looking at Jazz's, Yaris', and some Starlets. However, does anyone know if the Nissan Micra K11 with the CVT auto gear box is any good? She's had trouble free from her current Micra for the last 17 years, so might be worthwhile having a look. I've seen one with little in the way of rust advisories on previous MOTs (a particular problem for K11 Micras). Her budget is £2,000, and this auto Micra is around that with some 50k miles on the clock. Be good to hear your thoughts on this, and any alternatives I should perhaps consider. Thank you.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - SLO76
Great cars with a manual gearbox, but sadly the CVT auto was poor. I used to sell the things back in the 90’s and we punted so many to auction with gearbox problems that we stopped stocking them.

A better bet would be the later K12 Micra or Nissan Note, these use a conventional torque converter box - because Nissan had so many failures on the CVT. They’re mechanically robust if looked after and they resist rust better plus they’re safer in an impact. But try to avoid high spec examples of the Micra with keyless entry, pointless gadgets like that go wrong at this age and money.
Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - skidpan

The newest K11 Micra she will get will be 20 years old. Unless she is totally impoverished buying a car that old is barmy. Any repair bill will potentially write the car off.

Pretty sure Kia Picanto's had TC autos in until about 5 years ago (then they started fitting a MMT type box). One of the TC ones would be far newer than a K11 Micra and a much better long term buy. Same applies to Hyundai i10.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - badbusdriver

The newest K11 Micra she will get will be 20 years old. Unless she is totally impoverished buying a car that old is barmy. Any repair bill will potentially write the car off.

Pretty sure Kia Picanto's had TC autos in until about 5 years ago (then they started fitting a MMT type box). One of the TC ones would be far newer than a K11 Micra and a much better long term buy. Same applies to Hyundai i10.

On a £2k budget a facelift first gen example of both Picanto or i10 (a minimum of 14 years old) is what you'd get into (unless insurance write off or huge miles).

Ignoring the question of whether or not a Micra CVT is a good buy, my own opinion is that once you get to circa 10 years and older, condition is far more important than age.

Personally, I wouldn't immediately discount the Micra CVT. Having done a little investigating online, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence which suggests that they can be reliable enough if driven in a more sedate manner and the transmission fluid is changed as and when needed. The fact that the example mentioned by the OP is still on the road at an age of at least 20, suggests that this has been the case. Not sure about the specific example the OP has seen, but there is a 23 year old (1.4) example on Autotrader, which is a one owner car with 57k miles from new, priced at £1995. If my requirements and budget were the same as the OP's friend and the car drove fine, had nothing alarming in the MOT history and was in the condition described, I'd buy it.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - corax

so I'm looking at Jazz's, Yaris', and some Starlets.

Starlets? I learnt in one, in 1987. The last Starlets were made in 1999. Are there any left? Good cars though, I still remember the slick gearbox.

Starlets? I learnt in one, in 1987. The last Starlets were made in 1999. Are there any left? Good cars though, I still remember the slick gearbox.

There are four (auto's) on Autotrader nationwide, one is a Cat N which has been modified, and the cheapest of the lot is £2395 (not the Cat N)

Nowt against them, but the OP's friend is going to be limited not just by the small amount of small automatic cars actually for sale, but also limited to whatever is available within what they consider a reasonable traveling distance.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - bathtub tom

Everything is screaming NO to me. If she's less confident on the road, why does she think an auto would help? If she's happy with the current K11, why change for something different and possibly confusing? At £2K, you're deep into banger territory and I'd be very suspicious of any auto at that price.

If she's lacking confidence with modern traffic, perhaps it's time she gave up driving?

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Adampr

If your friend only uses the car for local trips and has parking, they could look at a new Citroen Ami. £2k would pay the deposit and most of a year's finance on one, whilst savings on fuel, tax, repairs etc might make it a viable longer term solution too.

However, it will not be able to go any significant distance.or speed.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Engineer Andy

Very few around even for the last model. I didn't think they were a 'bad' car, just a bit anonymous and, at the time, rather pricey when compared to a 92-03 Micra* or 95-99 / 00-02 Fiesta and certainly not as good to drive as the latter. One of the reasons I chose a Micra.

* I would avoid the 00-03 Micras because, in my view, Nissan started to seriously scrimp on the build quality (Renault influence?) - most of the very increasingly limited model range were low spec and seemingly used poor quality trim - both interior and exterior, plus poor quality paintwork, especially on the bumpers.

Whilst I had a ('facelifted') 96N 1L 'S', the 1.3 was the better engine with little mpg penalty and performance not that far behind the Fiesta in 1.25L guise. The mid-spec models were better value and the 2nd facelift version from 98-00 appeared to suffer from less corrosion issues than mine did (why I got rid of mine in 2006). Other than that, little went awry on the petrol manual models.

I personally would find a loved Toyota Yaris mk1, forgive any peeling paintwork (rarely do I see badly rusting ones) - mainly the red ones - and go for the best for mechanical / electrical condition with the former owner having loads of receipts for maintenance. At least you get a proper auto.

I agree generally that actual condition is more importnat than which make/model - for older cars, how they've been used and cared for (or not) will make a big difference to how long it lasts and whether it is reasonably reliable. it might be worth the Op trying to source whatever it us from someone they know / trust, then at least they stand a reasonable chance in getting something that will do.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - focussed

I ran a Nisan Micra K11 cvt auto bought 2nd hand with 30 k miles on it as a driving school car back in 2007-08 and it was no problem at all.

Provided you replace the cvt oil with the correct grade they are not a problem.

|Look the correct grade up - its not the usual CVT/auto box grade as stocked by the average kerbside cowboys.

I ran a Nisan Micra K11 cvt auto bought 2nd hand with 30 k miles on it as a driving school car back in 2007-08 and it was no problem at all.

But that was 15 - 16 years ago and any K11 will have probably been neglected more and more as it gained owners and years.

The OP should forget the idea.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - mbah4

The ones to look for are the late model 12 or 62 plate E11's with 1600cc HRDE engine as it has a proper torque converter 4 speed auto not the CVT of the 1300cc version.

There are lots around locally (Surrey,) used as second cars, some probably with the original owners I suspect.

We've had ours for 8 years now, it was 3 years old when we bought it and its been very reliable with regular servicing. The only issues have been 2 broken front springs- common I understand and a battery failure at 9 years. Its done less than 50K but it will go one for more years yet.

Edited by mbah4 on 22/10/2023 at 17:40

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Xileno

The budget is £2k so it will have to be an older one.

The ones to look for are the late model 12 or 62 plate E11's with 1600cc HRDE engine as it has a proper torque converter 4 speed auto not the CVT of the 1300cc version.

I'm confused by this statement!.

First, I'm not aware of any Micra designated E11 (they always start with "K"). Second, I'm not aware of any 1300cc Micra (manual or auto). Third, 12 or 62 plate is circa 2012/13, which in Micra terms would make it a K13 (2010-2017), only available with a 1.2 (n/a or supercharged) and the auto was a CVT.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Adampr

I'm confused by this statement!.

First, I'm not aware of any Micra designated E11 (they always start with "K"). Second, I'm not aware of any 1300cc Micra (manual or auto). Third, 12 or 62 plate is circa 2012/13, which in Micra terms would make it a K13 (2010-2017), only available with a 1.2 (n/a or supercharged) and the auto was a CVT.

E11 is a Note. 1.6 engine is the HR16DE.

It is fair to say that the best recommendation for a K11 Micra auto probably is something else...

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Big John

......and the 1.6 auto Note is really good. It's a reliable proper torque converter auto box with a "proper" reliable Nissan engine. Surprisingly roomy and refined car - highly recommended.

......and the 1.6 auto Note is really good. It's a reliable proper torque converter auto box with a "proper" reliable Nissan engine. Surprisingly roomy and refined car - highly recommended.

Except of course they are getting old as well now (newest would be 2013) and there is no way the OP would get one for £2000 that actually moved.

Since the OP's "friend" is "less confident on the roads now" getting a car that is quite a bit bigger than a K11 Micra would probably not be a good move.

An E12 Micra would be way more than the OP's budget and with a plasticine CVT box potentially very expensive to run.

* I would avoid the 00-03 Micras because, in my view, Nissan started to seriously scrimp on the build quality (Renault influence?) - most of the very increasingly limited model range were low spec and seemingly used poor quality trim - both interior and exterior, plus poor quality paintwork, especially on the bumpers

Don't agree with that at all.

We had 2 K12 Micras, a 1.2 S from September 2005 to March 2008 and a 1.2 Acenta from November 2007 to June 2015, a total of 10 years and 2 months and total of about 62,000 miles.

In that time the only issues we had were a boot release switch (warranty) and a broken front spring at 7 years old. All MOT's passed. The dash and door trim in the 2007 car was an improvement over the 2005 car but in reality it was exactly what you would expect for a car of its type and no worse than the others we looked at. The seat trim was fine in both.

After 7 years and 7 months the paint and trim was spot on and I had no trouble selling it on Autotrader for a good price within 24 hours of placing the listing.

In truth both were as good in every respect as the Japanese built 1996 Nissan Almera that my Dad owned for a total of 6 years and 7 months. All that had was a door locking cylinder under warranty.

* I would avoid the 00-03 Micras because, in my view, Nissan started to seriously scrimp on the build quality (Renault influence?) - most of the very increasingly limited model range were low spec and seemingly used poor quality trim - both interior and exterior, plus poor quality paintwork, especially on the bumpers

Don't agree with that at all.

We had 2 K12 Micras, a 1.2 S from September 2005 to March 2008 and a 1.2 Acenta from November 2007 to June 2015, a total of 10 years and 2 months and total of about 62,000 miles.

In that time the only issues we had were a boot release switch (warranty) and a broken front spring at 7 years old. All MOT's passed. The dash and door trim in the 2007 car was an improvement over the 2005 car but in reality it was exactly what you would expect for a car of its type and no worse than the others we looked at. The seat trim was fine in both.

After 7 years and 7 months the paint and trim was spot on and I had no trouble selling it on Autotrader for a good price within 24 hours of placing the listing.

In truth both were as good in every respect as the Japanese built 1996 Nissan Almera that my Dad owned for a total of 6 years and 7 months. All that had was a door locking cylinder under warranty.

Skidpan - the Micra I was referring to was the run-out K11 (00-02), not the K12 (03-10) and was correctly stated in my comments. They dropped all but the lowest spec models and the quality of the plastics (dash and especially bumpers) and paintwork went downhill. I saw several examples over the years with peeling paintwork after just a few years, something I never saw in earlier versions at the same age.

The engines were essentially the same, except with the 1.3 being increased to 1.4.

The K12 was a completely newly-engineered car - which I wasn't commenting on. The confusion might've been because the K12 was introduced the same year (2003) as the K11 finished.

classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/nissan/micra-k11/

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/10/2023 at 18:54

Fully aware you are referring to your K11. But it's your boring rhetoric that all Nissans are r****** because of the Renault collaboration. Our K12's had zero contact with Renault. Its engine was Nissan as was the gearbox. There was I believe joint floor pan design shared with the Clio but nothing wrong with that.

Just give up.

Fully aware you are referring to your K11. But it's your boring rhetoric that all Nissans are r****** because of the Renault collaboration. Our K12's had zero contact with Renault. Its engine was Nissan as was the gearbox. There was I believe joint floor pan design shared with the Clio but nothing wrong with that.

Just give up.

What, because your ego demands it? No. I'm not 'going after' Nissan, given my ownership experience with my K11 (well into the Renault Alliance) was decent. There's a very good reason why sales of this car tanked in comparison to its predecessor and rivals - it wasn't very good, and nor was the version that followed.

Even if Nissan's engines were there, some 'influence' on the design of the K12 (especially as regards design cost or the seemingly poor electrics - a common theme in French cars back then) if not parts could've been shared.

The last one was seemingly a significant improvement - which was on the same platform as the Clio.

The HJ Review for the K12 was hardly what you'd call one that inspired people to buy one:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/nissan/micra/2003/

2 out of 5 stars and lots of 'issues'. Similarly for the next version:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/nissan/micra/2010/

I do remember Richard Hammond on Top Gear giving the K12 a 'good' review video until he got back into the studio, when the already numerous reliability problems came to light. He looked embarrassed after recommending it 30 seconds before.

Your one might've been fine, but this can be said of almost all cars - obviously none are 100% unreliable.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - SLO76
Never had any problems with manual K11’s in years of flogging them, the CVT autos were made from cheese though. The K12 was generally no trouble either in my experience, though neglected cars could suffer timing chain issues and higher spec cars did suffer problems with the pointless keyless entry system.

I loved the K11, it was a genuinely good little car with plenty of character and no real vices, the K12 was a good little car too, but it wasn’t as enjoyable to drive in my opinion. The later model wasnt really designed with Europe in mind, it was a cheaply built car, made in India to a low price. It just wasn’t a rival to European Superminis of the time and it sold on price alone. Not to say it was a terrible car, just that the K11 and K12 were up there or superior to rivals at the time while the newer car wasn’t. I’m sure the manual normally aspirated 1.2’s will generally be reliable however if looked after.

Your one might've been fine, but this can be said of almost all cars - obviously none are 100% unreliable.

Clearly you have not read my post. We had TWO and both were 100% reliable (ie never let us down in the 10 years we had them).

Clearly you have not read my post. We had TWO and both were 100% reliable (ie never let us down in the 10 years we had them).

Wow - two! How many were sold nationally? What's two divided by tens of thousands as a percentage? I'm going by the Good and Bad section on HJ plus the review, which is far more of a representative sample than 'just two'. Great that yours proved reliable.

Unfortunately that doesn't have much bearing as to the OP's query, given the cars will be quite a bit older now, and they would have to contend with the varying standards of care from other owners - assuming they bought your ones, which is highly unlikely.

I actually see more K11s still about (surprising, given the rust issues they suffered from, mine included) than K12s, which were far less popular, and the following version even more so.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - blindspot

had one. had no problems at all, sold it at 99000 miles and the next owner ran up to 160.000. with out any big probs. i serviced it carefully . it was a light easy car, good visibility.

gears could cause a jerk if you rushed it

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra K11 auto-any good? - Xileno

Surely the conclusion to this thread is that at £2000 (which is pocket money regarding budget especially post Pandemic), condition is all. Anything at a dealer will be valeted junk so it will need to be a private sale. Even if you can find a mechanically sound old Micra, rust is likely to be the big problem at this age.

I think we've had the best from this discussion so closing it now especially as unnecessary comments creeping in (removed).

Apologies if anything of value got removed in the tidy-up.

Mod

Edited by Xileno on 25/10/2023 at 21:00