Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - chickengirl1976

I recieved a PCN for (1) Excise Number:OBSCURED - the tax disc was placed into the vehicle when we bought it 6 years ago and there has never been an issue - it has an airbag sticker (see through) on the window but you can fully see the disc (photo taken on the day for evidence which will match the parking attendants ones!) Also Parking in a restricted street during prescribed hours - I was not parked on the road - I was parked on 'open' land in front of a building on the other side of a pavement - this is parked on all the time - no obstruction of the pavement as the open land is as wide as my car - it is not pavement as it is cobbled in patches. I was therefore not parked in the 'street' . Is this a legal ticket? I will be appealing as I have photogrpahic evidence I was not parked in the street and that my tax disc is not obscured.

Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - RT

The law requires the VED disk to be unobscured by anything - the highway extends beyond the road, certainly to include the pavement and probably the open land you describe.

Best to pay up, I'd suggest.

Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - daveyjp
You need to confirm who owns the land you were parked on. The local authority will be able to advise if they own it. If not and it is not public highway the ticket was issued incorrectly.

We had a situation similar to this local to us, lots of cars ticketed on some waste ground. Land had been sold by the Council to the neighbouring car repair garage about 5 years previously so none of the tickets could be enforced.
Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - Duncan112

The law requires that "the licence shall be so exhibited that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in daylight from the near side of the road."

This will hinge on how easy it was to read the details and if you've the stomach to go to the Magistrates Court with a NG plea and how they interpret the definition of clearly - can you read ALL the details on the disc?

Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - Bromptonaut

Can the OP advise who issued the ticket?

AFAIK Councils have no power to enforce VED issues. One of the London Boroughs tried it and went at least to the High Court and possibly the Court of Appeal.

Renault Megane Scenic - PCN - for parking in a restricted street - FP

I can confirm (from bitter experience) that often land behind the footway next to a road with parking restrictions is subject to those same parking restrictions, if owned by the local authority.

The advice to check the legal status of the land you were parked on is good.