Vauxhall Astra - Alternator 'Ripple too big' and flat battery - thewrongtrousers

Hello,

I am trying to get to the bottom of a problem I am having.

Battery keeps running flat, its only a few months old so took it back to where I bought it and they did a voltmeter test (?) that showed that the battery was good and that the alternator voltage was good but it had a 'ripple too big'. They told me it was an alternator issue but the alternator was replaced at the same time as the battery so I got a second opinion that said the same thing. I went to the garage that fitted the alternator and they have said it isn't the alternator at fault but the battery not holding its charge. However I have also been having various electrical issues e.g. alarm going off randomly that I have read can be due to a faulty alternator and I nearly always get an electrical hum / murmur when just starting or turning off the engine. I tried another battery and still have these electrical problems, and am thinking it is just a matter of time before it starts running flat. Could it be something else? Are there any tests I can ask for to identify the problem? Would an oscilliscope test determine one way or other if the fault was with the alternator? Should I get a parasitic draw test?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator 'Ripple too big' and flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor

More info on the car could be a help.Year/model/petrol/diesel?You need to establish charging voltage at idle and under load at 1500 rpm.Do the battery company have a scope to check output signal ripple.Parasitic draw test is also reqd.Should be around 50mA or less.Alarm going off is usually a siren fault and not connected to other problems.hth

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator 'Ripple too big' and flat battery - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery, should read about 14.4 volts with the engine running. If the battery has been run flat repeatedly it could have killed it. Its quite possible that something is drawing current when the car is parked, you can check this with a ampmeter connected in seris with the battery, i.e disconnect one battery lead and connect it to the meter and connect the other lead to the battery, it shouldnt read more than about 100ma.