2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - GariJ

Hi - looking for some advice on this situation please.

I recently purchased a 2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport from a local Ford dealer and as part of the deal I asked for the car to have an MOT since it was due to run out in a couple of months.

The car was delivered a few days ago and as the handover took place the dealer mentioned that one of the rear tyres had been changed as it was "a bit low". Not clear yet as to if this was due to MOT failure or another issue as I later found the alloy to be scratched and the underneath of the rear bumper around the tyre to be badly scratched like it had bottomed out on a kerb – damage which I’m certain wasn’t there when I test drove the car. I am obviously suspicious that the tyre/alloy/bumper has been damaged sometime between me test driving it and taking delivery - hence they changed 1 tyre but we signed for it on delivery so I probably have no leg to stand on. Buyer beware etc.

I emailed the dealer with this finding but naturally they said they were unaware of the damage and its fine to mix tyres. I have sent pictures of the damage and researching his claim about mixing tyres.

Anyway, the current status of the car is that it has 3 x Continental sport contact 2 (235-40 ZR18 95Y) with 13K miles on them and 1 brand new Falken FK453 (235-40 ZR18 95Y). I have read conflicting reports about fitting mixed tyre brand / tyre age from "this is a massive no-no" to "this should be no problem at all". I understand it’s not illegal but have seen some reports say that this may invalidate insurance and warranty.

Any clear advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - focussed

Both the Falken and Continental tyres appear to have the same size,load and speed markings so by the current MOT rules the replacement tyre is not a fail as long as the two types of tyre have the same structure, for the definitive answer take the car to a decent mot station and ask a qualified tester. I think you may be in the area of while it is not illegal, it's bad practice. I would have thought that a Ford dealer would have not been such a cheapskate and would have matched the replacement tyre with what was on the vehicle already.

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - Ethan Edwards

My 2p - same size, same rating not an issue. Plus the Falkens are a good make.It;s 100% legal and personally I prefer them to Conti's.

If your mixing winter tyres with regular summer (for the want of a better name) thats a no no.

If your mixing radial with crossply (yes I'm old) on the same axle thats a no no.

If they were a different size thats a no no.

if they were a speed rating lower than the OEM requirements thats a no no.

If one was very old and perished then thats a no no

But what you describe is none of the above...been doing the same for years. Even now I'm running three Dunlops and a Goodyear on my XTrail, Used cars are always going to have tyres of different makes and ages. Only the Police change all four tyres if one has a fault, and thats because they aren't paying for them..we are.

If you want to tell your insurer go ahead but I would think they'd simply not care or charge you an Additional Premium because you asked for it..

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - 72 dudes

OP, I understand your concern.

However, I have to agree with the others here: Not ideal, not best practice, but not illegal.

If this was on the front (driven) axle, I'd be more worried.

So treat the tyre and the damage as two separate issues, and make a nuisance of yourself with the Ford dealer - you want the damage put right as it was not there when you test drove the car.

If they care about customer service they will do something you help you as a goodwill gesture. If they don't they will point to your signature on the delivery note and say that indicates that you were satisfied with the car.

Good luck and please come back and tell us the outcome.

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - oldtoffee
The Falken is around £50 less to buy (online) than the Continental so that's probably why they chose it. As others have said don't worry about it but do record your concern formally with the dealer and keep an eye on the tread wear on that tyre to make sure it is even across the tyre. Uneven wear may indicate something out of alignment that may have been the result of an impact.
2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - TeeCee

If you drive the thing normally, you'll almost certainly never notice anything.

If you make a habit of hanging the thing out on the ragged edge......

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - GariJ

Thanks for the feed back all.

In terms of the MOT I've basically got another year from now - which is all I wanted.

The plot thickens on this one - I emailed the dealer this morning and said the feedback I got from other people was that to mix a tire brand and a tire age across the same axle is not ideal, is bad practice and certainly not something you'd expect from a ford dealer.

A firm reply came back:

"I am 100% confident that if XXXX, who has been a Ford technician for over 30 years, thinks its ok, then it is - sorry don't mean to be come over blunt, but like I say, many dealerships I know wouldnt even of considered changing the tyre if it was legal, but we are a very fair dealership"

Further on in the email he said something had popped into his head ref the damage underneath the rear bumper

What happened next astounded me.

He called me and admitted he missed the turning to my road when delivering the car reversed into a driveway with a very steep incline and that is maybe how the damage occurred - he then offered to repair the damage and fit another Faulken at cost price (£100) so the tires across the same axle match.

None of this makes any sense - we have a very experienced technican who has changed a Continental sport contact 2 tyre with 12K miles on it because he considered it "a bit low". Unless Michael Schumacher's been driving this car I would expect the tire to last 25K miles and when I examined said tire before the test drive it was deep tread all across. This same technician also says its fine to mix tyres. I have a very sheepish salesman with a cock and bull story about a steep driveway. The whole thing stinks.

I think it went a little like this:

Sometime before delivery the car hit a kerb at speed, wrecked the tyre, damaged the alloy and scraped the underside of the bumper. Solution: wack a new cheaper Faulken on and hope the customer doesn't question it.

Of course I can't prove that and have signed for the car......

I'm tempted to take the hit pay 100 quid to match up the rear tires at least and get on with my life.

2009 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport - mixing tyres in suspicious circumstances - Cyd

I have no experience of Falken tyres, but they are not a brand I even consider. i have Conti Sport Contacts on my Saab 9-3 Aero (tuned). They are very good tyres, but my areas of dissappointment with them are that they wear out very quickly and have a lack of traction in wet with a poor ABS threshold. I shall be changing to Goodyear Eagle F1 Ass 2 in a few months (I've had the GSD versions on a previous car and found them to be way superior in the areas mentioned).

In your situation, I'd be happy to get the damage properly repaired (incl having the alloy refurbished) and then when the htree Contis are worn change all four tyres. If there's anything worth having left on the Falken, put it on eBay and get a few quid for it.

I'd have the Falken on the front. You should always have your best tyres on th eback.

If his offer already includes refurbing the alloy and the extra Falken is an additional offer, then try for a free service and MoT next year instead.