Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - SarahT

I'm worried about the Mokka I ordered in December (due for delivery in May) after reading owners' reports on this new model on the Mokka Owners Forum. A number of people with the Adaptive Forward Lighting system are reporting problems with misalligned headlights that dazzle oncoming traffic, then when they are lowered the AFL warning light comes on and the lights "bounce" around giving traffic the impression that they are being flashed (eg to let them out of a side road). Spot the accident waiting to happen...Vauxhall don't seem sure of what the problem is or how to fix it. Some brand new cars have been back with the dealer for more days than their new owners have had them to drive!

I've asked Vauxhall about it and they said not to worry, my car should be fine. But I am worried. I believe I can't cancel my order without losing my deposit so how can I make sure that my lights are correctly set up before I sign for the car?

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - injection doc

I had a Merc with adaptive lighting and it nearly killed me ! driving quickly down a country lane as i took a corner the light bulb outside the front of the house caused the lights to DIP ! being so white my eye didnt adjust instantly and it was like someone turning the lights off !

To be honest the most carp design for a 45k value car add that to all the other idio syscrhosis that the car was fitted with it used to get so confused I was glad to get shot.

yeah ya right they are a pain.

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - 72 dudes

I've asked Vauxhall about it and they said not to worry, my car should be fine. But I am worried. I believe I can't cancel my order without losing my deposit so how can I make sure that my lights are correctly set up before I sign for the car?

You are worried about something that hasn't happened yet. Vauxhall will be working on a fix, they won't want the bad publicity. It's quite possible that by May, they will have put it right.

Having said that you could try the following (assuming you can't try the car out in the dark before you part with the money)

On the invoice/delivery note/payment paperwork, write:

" I reserve the right to the reject the car if there are any problems with the AFL system and it is not fixed satisfactorily after one attempt".

Thanks for the advice all. Yep, I do worry about stuff that hasn't happened to me yet - just my way I guess - prepare for the worst & hope for the best! I like the "reserve the right" etc words - I'll do that.

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - happy polo

Well if you wanted to wriggle out of buying the thing, I guess you could always plead insanity. You'v got to be barmy to spend money on anything wearing a Vauxhall badge brand new. I'd wait a few years when you'll be able to pick one up at an auction for the change in your pocket!

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - TeeCee

the lights "bounce" around giving traffic the impression that they are being flashed (eg to let them out of a side road). Spot the accident waiting to happen...

Sounds exactly like every other HID installation to me. Bump in road, lights do the "self-levelling flash".....

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - Avant
If you see this, Sarah, would you like to tell us the reasons that led you to choose the Mokka? (I presume it wasn't the rather silly name!)
It hasn't been well reviewed in the motoring press, but there may well be something you liked that the press didn't spot.
Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - 72 dudes
If you see this, Sarah, would you like to tell us the reasons that led you to choose the Mokka? (I presume it wasn't the rather silly name!) It hasn't been well reviewed in the motoring press, but there may well be something you liked that the press didn't spot.

I don't think happy polo's comment is useful advice, knowing that she has placed her order

Lots of people buy cars based on their looks, and unlike most on the HJ forum, are less interested in their dynamic capabilities.

It will be looks in this case, I am almost certain, plus the fact that it will be amongst the first on the road.

Take the Fiat 500, people love it even though it does nothing particularly well, and it's one of the sales successes of the last few years.

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - John Boy

I don't think happy polo's comment is useful advice, knowing that she has placed her order

I'd go further than that. The comment appears designed to wind up someone who has confessed to being a worrier.

Not a good strategy to get more members, especially women, onto the forum.

Good day all! I happened to check back & saw new replies - thanks! Well my sanity is often questioned so I'll just ask how many new cars do Vauxhall sell in a year - must be a lot of mad people just like me. If I was an accountant maybe I'd put depreciation first but thankfully I'm not so I don't.

For me the reviews of the Mokka were a worry (that word again) but there's nothing else on the market that has a high seating/driving position - very important with my dodgy back & getting kids in/out of the car - plus a long warranty (I intend to keep it for c.8 years so I'm buying new - been working hard & I deserve a special new toy - second hand doesn't have the warranty & isn't a special reward for hard work) plus good MPG & Co2 figures, enough room in the car & boot without being a massive Chelsea tractor - oh, and in my price range. As to looks, yeah it looks nice but that's not a major factor.

So I decided to drive one for myself rather than trust the reviewers who, let's be honest John, seem to only ever give a car five stars if its a £1/4m supercar - and I'm not in the market for one of them. And I loved it. The ride & handling are what I need, plenty of poke in the diesel engine, toys & gagets are all fun, the size and space are perfect for what I need.

I can understand its not everyone's cuppa coffee but the Mokka's just right for me (if they get the lights sorted!)

Edited by SarahT on 04/03/2013 at 19:17

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - bazza

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, if it's a safety issue GM will have to recall and put it right, you also have a long warranty to call upon if needed. Don,t forget people are more likely to post problems on the motoring forums rather than post how delighted they are, it's human nature! I doubt you'll find a single make and model, without a list of common, probably terrifying faults somewhere on the internet. Just look through HJ's car by car and try and find a make without some kind of issue! And even within makes that have poor reputations, there is still enormous variability, we ran a Renault for 8 years and 100K without any problems at all, several Vauxhalls the same, Citroens, Fiats, all good. However, a Golf we owned leaked rain water continually and suffered lots of irritating electrical faults, so to some extent it's pot luck! Enjoy your new car and stop worrying!

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - Avant

Many thanks for that, Sarah. A lot of Vauxhalls are sold to fleet managers so are chosen for their drivers rather than by them - but there are still plenty of (sane!) people like you who choose them so it's good to see why you liked the Mokka.

Most road testers for whatever reason judge a car on how good it is at being driven to extremes in twisty B-roads. A BMW is better at this than a VW/Audi/Skoda but for me personally the latter cars suit my driving style. For that the testers would consign me to the funny-farm.

Thanks guys - I appreciate you taking the time to comment so thoughtfully. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good experience when the car arrives. x

Vauxhall Mokka - Worrying Mokka Adaptive Forward Lighting problem - Collos25

I love BMWs but when I get picked by taxi I always use a company that has nothing but A6s and they seem measurable better as a passanger than any BMWs ,you the funny farm surely not the OAPs home maybe my wife keeps threatenning to send me there.