any - driving in China - motorprop

Have just returned from 16 days in China , these are the main observations ;

While there , I went on a 7 day coach trip to Tibet , departing Kunming, including Shangri - La , was the only ' foreigner ' amongst 20 Chinese which greatly bemused all , especially on night 6 when I insisted our mad driver could not drive another 2 hours without a break - cue a pantomime scene where I show a tired driver crashing and killing us all.

Lots of top end German metal out there. In a normal apartment block I was staying in on East Coast , I saw a new Rolls Royce Phantom and no end of latest BMW / Audi models - and these all cost double our prices there.

All cars , including MB ML, Landcruisers , Q7, S class , X5 , running on unleaded at about 80p a litre ( no cars ran on diesel at all )

Driving standards are bad. Nobody ever lets anybody out and nobody slows for pedestrians , these can wait 5 mins at marked crossings and then make a run for it

Electric scooters drive on pavements at night with their lights off . Taxis do that in day to avoid waiting at lights

On the crowded motorways , they overtake , undertake and constantly honk, There are elevated roads everywhere , even in rural areas. I once saw on a motorway, one road above us and another much higher crossing above that, above fields

I saw newish European cars parked by fields while owners toiled

Volkswagen sell a saloon called a Magotan...

Shanghai has no pedestrian river crossings at all in the main bit , so pedestrians cannot cross between the Bund and the CBD. Only by car or walk 10 mins to underground and travel 1 station ( 40 p ) .

Motorway ' services ' - joke , no coffee at all. Hawkers cook corn , potatoes and other items right outside the stinking toilets. Just as well it was not high summer

They slap clusters of 12 x 30 story apartment blocks on city fringes... Nowhere for kids to play ( these stay in flats all the time outside school ). Buildings almost touch

Positives - No road rage at all, they all expect the unexpected and never get wound up

The towns of Lijiang and Dali are highly recommended , especially the former, just unbelievably beautiful.

In 2012 they matched the USA in numbers of new Bentleys sold.

any - driving in China - Smileyman

Wife and I were there in 2010 (went to Expo in Shanghai)

we used the maglev into Shanghai from the airport, but as the 'city'station is in the suburbs so it is necessary to use a taxi or underground train to get to the city centre. Taxi drove nice and smoothly, I was able to film the city and curious ciruclar road on way to hotel .... we also used taxis a few times in the city, fares are very cheap by our standards. Journeys were calm and relaxing, drivers took care and generally these were very pleasant experiences .... but the taxi ride from the hotel back to the maglev was awful, the driver raced like a madman, swerving like a dodgem around other cars on the main roads and we were both rather pleased to have reached the maglev safely. If we were not leaving the country I'd have made a complaint. but there was not time.

ps in China, have a business card with the name of your destination written in local lingo for the taxi driver, they don't usually read our Latin script.