Audi Q5 - Towbar electrics - peter1177

I am about to take delivery of a new Q5 and require towing facility for my caravan.

Audi are quoting £1800 for thier kit as apposed to a Whitter bar with dedicated electrics ( not by pass) which costs £650.

My dilemma :- Having spoken to the Audi technical people they tell me that when the new wiring kit is installed a diagnostic programme has to be completed at a cost of £138. If there proves to be a problem, ie with the braking system ABS Reversing sensors or dash board warning lights, and it is not the fault of Audi, then the warranty would be void.

How good and reliable are the kits on todays market. Has anyone had a bad experiance surely not every body with a Q5 takes the car back to Audi to have it done

regards Pete

Audi Q5 - Towbar electrics - elekie&a/c doctor

Modern cars are a mobile electronics/computer network.All the various control systems work together to make a safe handling car.By fitting a non Audi tow bar system,the Esp/abs system could be compromised .When the trailer is plugged into the tow socket,the electronics adjust the programme to the abs/esp system for optimum stability.Also the rear parking sensors are disengaged.I very much doubt is any after market system will do this.Any additional non approved wiring would be a good get out by Audi if there was any related warranty issue.hth

Hi

Can I thank you for taking the time out to answer what in my mind was going to be the final answer on this issue. Safety is my main concern. I suppose the final cost of installment should be the guide. Once again many thanks

Pete

Audi Q5 - Towbar electrics - pipmk

There are lots of after market tow bar fitters. Ring some and ask if they anticipate any problems. Many will give you a guarantee against any failure with the electrics or the mechanics. If I can have tow bars fitted to brand new Mercs without problems then yours shouldn't be difficult. Ten to one they will fit the same brand tow bar as Audi, adjust the electrics and save you several hundred pounds in the process. As long as the tow bar is fixed to the approved strong points and is a certified bar from a major maker there are no safety implications at all. No car maker makes their own bars, they buy them in from the few major makers, sometimes having their own name put on them,often not.

Hi.

Once again thanks for that. I have spoken to Tow Bar Express who tell me they have the Audi software to complete a guaranteed job and they say the warranty will not be compromised... In order to get the perfect fit with a detractable hitch I am to purchase the rear lower bumper panel which costs about £250 + vat. This part appears to have the correct aperture for the tow bar and luckily it is not colour coded. I agree Mercs and Vw must operate in the same way and I am now on the path towards having a retro fit with a new panel. It's still a lot cheaper than £1800. Surely I can't get that unlucky CAN I ??

Regards Pete
Audi Q5 - Towbar electrics - pipmk

I'm sure it will be fine.

Audi Q5 - Towbar electrics - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you will find that most of the VAG tow bars/kits are made by westphalia (I believe a division of vag group).Take a look here;westfalia-automotive.co.uk/audi_towbars_and_wiring.../