Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - Britta

We know nothing about cars and have very little available money.... just to set the scene... :-)

We have been offered a Renault Laguna Dynamique, 1.9 Diesel from 2005. There is a little confusion about mileage because of a new clock, but somewhere in the region of 70.000. It comes from a trade contact of a friend who owns a garage and we can have it for £2000. It sounds like a good deal.

But, another friend who is car knowledable says basically 'stay away from French cars' and he'll help us find a VW, Skoda, some kinds of Mazda or Toyota. He reckons that it is completely possible to get an ok car which is older and has more miles for less than £2000. - Also he used to work as a mecanic, so he can help fix whatever needs fixing.

Our last car was a Citroen C5 from 2002 and has been an absolute disaster, so the thought of newer car is somewhat appealing, but the question is if that newer car is more likely to go wrong?...

Any advice, please?

Thanks,

Britta

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - coopshere
The simple answer is no. However French cars are cheap for a reason which is usually related, especially in Renaults case, to being prone to electrical faults. There are many satisfied customers out there but equally many not so.

Personally I would follow your mechanic friends advice and look at something a little older with a better reliability record. That said in your price range it will be a matter of luck but if with his knowledge he can source a good one you will be better off long term.
Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - gordonbennet

Listen to your friend.

A Honda equivalent of the Laguna would probably be more than twice the price and worth every penny, you already know how troublesome French cars can be, its such a pity because they often drive really well and are supremely comfortable with strong bodies.

Having said that if you can buy such as that for say £1000 then it might be worth the gamble, then if one of its many possible problems crops up in due course simply sell it and get another, do not pay forecourt prices for cars like this.

Its already needed a new speedo, maybe been jump started (either way) and blew the dash the same happened to a mate, or it was a mini cab and the speedo/dash change wiped 100k off the car.

Older Diesels circa early 90's to early 00's are less troublesome in general whatever the make IMO.

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - drd63

It all seems to be luck of the draw although the stats against French (and some German if you look at warranty direct) cars can't be ignored.

I've had 3 Honda's, an S2000 and a 2.4 Accord were fantastic without so much as bulb blowing between them. The 3rd, a 55 plate 1.8 Civic was a disaster, in year 1 numerous faults with voice control and electricals, new gearbox and rear shocks required.

I've had 3 Fords, Mondeo, Fiesta and Kuga, apart from bulbs the only problem was a dpf sensor on the Kuga which has now done over 100k miles.

I once had a Citroen AX GT, which while it felt as if it was made of foil never broke down or went wrong, on the other hand there wasn't much to go wrong.

I don't think any of the above is much help.

sorry, forgot to add; it has to be a big car as my husband has to transport lots of equipment and it will be doing quite a lot of motorway miles, I think a total annual of something like 10.000

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - Fernando P

The oil supply/turbo charger problems of the Laguna 1.9dci were sorted by 2005 but I would not advise you to purchase one unless someone who knows specifically about 1.9dci MK2 Lagunas had checked it out first and was satisfied that was in good working order for future service. The 1.9DCi engine will go on efficiently for many more miles but you really need some mechanic knowledge/assistance to take on this car. Also the price is far too high - £1250 would be plenty to pay (a bit more if in VG condition). As an aside, they are at their best doing long motorway runs and the Sports Tourer will carry a good load. I have a 2.2 Dci MK2 Sports Tourer that I will be sorry to part with and hope that will not be for some time!

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - Andrew-T

In my opinion (just as loaded as those of the other contributors') French cars are not all that bad. Nor are those of any other maker. I suggest that nearly all modern cars are pretty reliable (>95% or some such number) but the chances of being unlucky are a bit more with some than with others.

The silly thing is that many people have bad luck with one example from one maker, and then say they are all lousy and I won't ever have one again. Statistically nonsense. So the problem for the non-expert owner is how to detect lemons. My family has owned upwards of 20 Peugeots and none of them has been unreliable - though one of them did break a cambelt soon after a dealer service because the need to change it was not noticed. Before that I was lucky with 5 Maxis - and everyone said those were rubbish.

So you should take time to assess the condition (have the owners bothered to look after it) and check its history. Your more experienced friends may help here. If the servicing has been regular, the milage may not be too important.

One snag does occur to me - quite a lot of cars have been caught in floods in the last 12 months, and I guess some may have been dried out and sold on. They could have electrical probs. Do any of our regulars have any knowledge?

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - Avant

Thank you for that balanced view, Andrew. I had seven reliable Renaults in a row between 1980 and 2001, four of which did over 100,000 miles each. But I had them from new, looked after them and had them serviced according to schedule.

I think the truth of it is that French cars in particular are more vulnerable to abuse and neglect than, say, Japanese cars. Buying secondhand is always something of a gamble: obviously you look for one that's been regularly serviced, but you still don't know how it's been driven.

Britta, if you go for a Toyota Avensis or Mazda 6 (both petrol - don't go near a diesel Mazda) you have a better chance of getting a good one, and either or those two are available as estates if you ened the space.

Edited by Avant on 25/02/2013 at 18:54

I think the truth of it is that French cars in particular are more vulnerable to abuse and neglect than, say, Japanese cars. Buying secondhand is always something of a gamble: obviously you look for one that's been regularly serviced, but you still don't know how it's been driven.

Avant - maybe I should have said that all the 20 Pugs I mentioned were at least 2 years old when I got them, and just now I have a pair of 205s on G and K plates. In fact my 'proper' car, a 207, was the newest car I have ever owned, at 7 months when I got it. So it is probably right to say that French cars are less solid (certainly comparing 205 with Golf) but that's not to say they are junk.

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - Cyd

I would be happy to drive around in a PSA chariot if I were buying new or nearly new and not keeping them too long. However, IMO PSA vehicles simply are not engineered or built to last. A friend who was a team leader at PSA Ryton expresses this view too.

This is my experience with my Dispatch van too. I'm ex auto engineer so maintenance really isn't a problm for me though.

Also at 10k pa, I'd go petrol. Modern diesels in your price bracket with DPFs and DMFs can be an utter nightmare (££s wise) fo rthe private owner of older vehicles. 10k is also not enough to gain the cost benefits of diesel.

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - SteveLee

I've had many (around a dozen) completely reliable Citroëns into 6 figure milages, a few dodgy Audi's and BMWs, my Jags since the troublesome XJ12 on the mid 80s have been bulletproof. I used to love VWs, now they are over priced and unreliable. After saying all this - I must admit to distrusting Renaults!

.. the cost benefits of diesel.

I realise in these hard times that most drivers will only do the cost accounting to make their choice. But since owning a 205 Dturbo from 1993, then a 306 and now a 207, I have preferred a diesel for my main car, despite doing less than 10K a year. I like to know that I am getting about 20% more miles from my gallon (litre), which for me feels ecologically better. In the longer term there is also the consideration that no plugs need replacing and the exhaust may never rust through.

I manage without a DPF though.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/02/2013 at 11:05

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - unthrottled

I like to know that I am getting about 20% more miles from my gallon (litre), which for me feels ecologically better...I manage without a DPF though.

You mean you appreciate the benefit of the greater efficiency at the pumps, but there's no fiscal benefit for the DPF so it is unwanted-economic incentive, not an ecologoical one!

there's no fiscal benefit for the DPF so it is unwanted-economic incentive, not an ecological one!

There's more of a fiscal disbenefit in a DPF, from what one reads. The Pug dealer who sold me the car said I was better off without one, and I don't think he meant just financially. I haven't seen any black smoke behind the car - I must keep a better look out to make sure ...

Renault Laguna 2005 or... - Are all French cars that bad? - unthrottled

Having DPF is like using the bus. Everyone wants everyone else to do it for the common good-so they don't have to!

They do work-sadly.

Thanks for comments, we decided to give the renault a miss and see what else comes along.

They do work-sadly.

I thought they only worked as long as the car was driven in the correct way to keep them working?