BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - Brian_s

I bought 4 Premium Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres from BLACKCIRCLES.com at total price of over £700.00. After less than 6,000 miles, the rear tyres (which were from a different manufacture batch number) were totally smooth - completely illegal to drive on. (so 5,000 would be a better estimate of legal driving mileage!). The front tyres were only worn by 1mm over the same period. I sent the tyres back asking for an explanation. The Manufacturer (Bridgestone) said that "HIGH MILAGE is not recognised as being the main criteria of this tyre". BlackCircles replied that "the total mileage does appear to be less than I would expect, however it is the case that no tyres will last as long as the first set due to a number of reasons including the vehicle’s parts becoming worn and looser over time." They then stated that there was nothing else they were prepared to do and were not going to provide an independent exam. I have spoken to local tyre suppliers that state the rear tyres should wear at approximately twice as fast as the front tyres. Is this correct? If that was the case I would expect the front tyres to be worn by 4mm and not 1mm!!! Very Dissatisfied Customer. If it was a local company, I would demand a refund for the Poor Quality Rear Tyres. Unfortunately as this is an internet company from Scotland, I am unable to do this. I do not recommend buying from this company. In future, I guess i will use local tyre suppliers than will stand by their products. Any recommendations? Thanks.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - Happy Blue!

I have never heard of a car that wears its rear tyres faster than the front ones - even RWD cars.

Something odd here.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - gordonbennet

I'd closely examine your footwear, paying particular attention to the one on the right, its possibly weighted too much..:-)

RWD cars with ample power thats used often will wear the rear tyres quickly, sounds like you enjoy the power and nothing wrong with that.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - skidpan

I have never heard of a car that wears its rear tyres faster than the front ones - even RWD cars.

Something odd here.

All RWD cars wear their rear tyres faster than the fronts. On my BMW its usually about 2 sets of rears to 1 set of fronts unless you rotate them to even the wear.

To wear a set of rears out in 6000 miles would take some serious power or the driver would need to be doing a racing start at every junction.

When I had problems with some Michelins recently the proceedure was to take them to the nearest approved supplier (does not have to be where you bought them from) which was in my case ATS who sent them to Michelin. 4 weeks later I got a letter and a cheque for £197. Would surprise me if Bridgestone did not have a similar proceedure in operation.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - Ethan Edwards

To wear a set of rears out in 6000 miles would take some serious power or the driver would need to be doing a racing start at every junction.

Not necessarily. Could be the OP is habitually making very rapid starts and not realising it. Alternativley the 6K mile may have included a Track day. It's very easy to 'lunch' the rears on a track in a surprisingly short time. Sticky high speed tyres do wear at an alarming rate. I'd concur with the other poster try a lighter right foot and see how the next set wears.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - Collos25

My son has a 330 Alpina and I consider him to be a little fast for my liking but the car is on its original Continental tyres with I think some 50k kilometres on the clock so 6k miles is rather going some to remove the tread.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - madf

Check the camber..

Many BMW s run with excess -ve camber. and toe out

Read...

tinyurl.com/afe6slt

4 wheel alingment by someone with laser equipment who knows what they are doing.. _ not Kwikfit imo.

( I found ATS good but wdik)

Edited by madf on 21/02/2013 at 14:21

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - bathtub tom

I saw a 3 series reduce the tread on rear tyres from 6mm to canvas in an afternoon.

It was an autotest on a very abrasive concrete runway.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - daveyjp
Some tyres are just rubbish on wear rate, but probably better for handling if you know how notice these things.

My X type had Pirellis which did about 18,000 on the front, but they did cause the car to pull to one side so I needed something else.

Goodyears were used by others so I bought a pair, with no change in driving style they did 8,000 miles.
BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - TeeCee

Some years back, my boss had a Subaru Impreza WRX (!) as a fleet car (!!)

That came on Bridgestone Potenzas and it ate them like they were free. 6,000 miles is all he was seeing out of them. Eventually the lease company got the message and the fourth set that went on were Yokos, which lasted well.

I'm afraid that they just seem to be carp. Now, that car was 4WD and wore all four out in nothing flat, so I guess that they're vulnerable to excessive ablation of the tread when power is applied through them. That would tally with your RWD BMW chewing up the rears but being easier on the fronts.

BMW E60 - Anyone think 6,000 miles on Bridgestone's is HIGH? - PhilDS

My 320i E92 manual gets through a rear set of run flats in c.16k and front set in 35k. That's mixed motorway and country roads generally putting my foot down.

The car came with Pirelli's on the rear when I bought it which tended to wear pretty heavily in the centres. I switched to Continental's which were original fitment when new and they have worn much more evenly.

I pay around £130 each for 225/45 17 91V from Blackcircles.

I've used Bridgstone Potenza RE050's before on a VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 140 as has a friend of mine with a Golf on the same engine. In both cases there was significant uneven tyre wear which manifested itself as a droning noise as if bearings had failed.

Might be best to switch to what was originally specified by BMW.

Ask Honest John

Value my car